Switched Power for Electric Fan Relay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruce Wingate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Here’s roughly what I did. It’s got a few scribbles on it where I’ve modified the stock wiring diagram to account for no ecu control and my manual switch on the high side apply.
You must be registered for see images attach
Thanks for the diagram - What EFI are you looking at? Right now I'm leaning towards Edelbrock Pro Flow 4 with a fuel sump.

I think we are both taking different paths to the same place - my plan is to just reroute the ground trigger for the fan relays from the temp sensor to the proper EFI ECU outputs. "Should be easy" famous last words.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Thanks for the diagram - What EFI are you looking at? Right now I'm leaning towards Edelbrock Pro Flow 4 with a fuel sump.

I think we are both taking different paths to the same place - my plan is to just reroute the ground trigger for the fan relays from the temp sensor to the proper EFI ECU outputs. "Should be easy" famous last words.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm planning on doing too. I'll reroute the ground triggers when I do the EFI. I'll have to do some additional wiring changes for the low speed since I'll be moving the power to a constant from the AC trigger.

I'm swapping in an L29 454/4L80e that has a 24x crank trigger conversion and will be using a stock Chevrolet 2002 P01(0411) ECU. I've got almost everything together, just need to rebuild the 4L80e and then get the wiring/programming sorted. I'm doing a bunch of the modifications to the truck now to support it and am trying to get it running/driving now to drive around until I'm ready for the big fuel injection swap.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Some of the factory GM wiring is the PCM can trigger the fans when it itself sees temp or need, but then there is a relay usually powered by a switch on the ac system exclusively for airflow through condensor when the defog system is on(Not a thing on square right?) and then also that is all with a PCM triggered compressor tho, usually. The 3800 had a run the fans at low speeds if temp A then run both at high at higher temp B

not your situation but figured to throw it out there

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Some of the factory GM wiring is the PCM can trigger the fans when it itself sees temp or need, but then there is a relay usually powered by a switch on the ac system exclusively for airflow through condensor when the defog system is on(Not a thing on square right?) and then also that is all with a PCM triggered compressor tho, usually. The 3800 had a run the fans at low speeds if temp A then run both at high at higher temp B

not your situation but figured to throw it out there
The 0411 ECU in the 01 firebird had a pressure sensor on the filter/drier that let the ECU read high side pressure. It would trigger the low speed fan output at a set high pressure and turn it off when it fell below a set pressure. You can program all of those pressures using a cheap tool and open source software. The Fan triggers can be programmed using engine coolant temp as well. They also have settings for on/off based on vehicle speed and other things.

In the square, until the EFI gets put in, I'm using the power feed to the AC clutch to activate the Fan 2 relay. The modern EFI will use ground triggers in the ECU to do essentially the same thing.

Airflow through the condenser is to allow the AC refrigerant to condense while the vehicle isn't moving and the AC system is on. Defrost usually runs the heater and AC together, since the AC evaporator is cold enough to condense the humidity in the air to dry it out, to provide warm dehumidified air to the windshield to keep it from getting condensation buildup. If the refrigerant doesn't condense before flowing to the evaporator, you don't get a state change in the evaporator and therefore your AC system doesn't work at all. This lets the high pressure side build more and more pressure and can cause your compressor to wear prematurely or even cause the pressure relief to blow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kurt54