starting problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4speedburb

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Suburban
Engine Size
ok, so im having issues with my battery staying charged, i put a known good alternator on, and got a new battery, and im still having issues with the battery staying charged. im flusterd on what it could be, ive also been having issues with my gage/idle fuse blowing, and all my gages stop working except my speedo, i need help with this thing bad!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
ok, so im having issues with my battery staying charged, i put a known good alternator on, and got a new battery, and im still having issues with the battery staying charged. im flusterd on what it could be, ive also been having issues with my gage/idle fuse blowing, and all my gages stop working except my speedo, i need help with this thing bad!

Have you tested the feild wire to the alternator while someone cranks the engine over?

4speedburb

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Suburban
Engine Size
i have not, but im thinking it has somthing to do with whatever issue im having with my gauge/idle fuse blowing?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
i have not, but im thinking it has somthing to do with whatever issue im having with my gauge/idle fuse blowing?

I would check all of the alternator wiring, and yes, I believe the feild wire is part of the gauge/idle circut.

4speedburb

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Suburban
Engine Size
ok cool! which wire is just curious?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
ok cool! which wire is just curious?

Since the gauge /idle fuse is popping, check the brown wire. i believe there are 3 wires in all, a large red, a rust colored, then the brown, which goes to the gauge.
The best way to check the wire to be sure its not grounding out, is to pull the instrument cluster, and unplug both plugs, and then pull the brown wire plug from the alternator, and use a meter to do a continuity check between the wire, and chasis ground.
You will also want to inspect that red wire, it goes down to the starter solenoid, and shares a post with the battery cable.....in fact, check that first...those nuts have ben known to come loose. Disconnect the battery before you do any of this trouble shooting.

Last edited:

4speedburb

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Suburban
Engine Size
i figured it out, i have a system hooked up, and i unhooked it from the battery, and the gage/idle fuse hasnt blown all day, so maybe its how it was hooked up that was making it blow the fuse?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
i figured it out, i have a system hooked up, and i unhooked it from the battery, and the gage/idle fuse hasnt blown all day, so maybe its how it was hooked up that was making it blow the fuse?

Hmmmm... :think:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI

Where was it hooked up for main power, and what components do you have?

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I had same problem with the blue wrecker I just put together. I had put a brand new alternator on it as I assembled the truck. Battery kept going down still. Come to find out the new Durablast alternator was shorting out on the main post on the back. sent it back to the Zoo and went and got one from NAPA. problem fixed.

4speedburb

Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Suburban
Engine Size
i had the power wire rigged up kinda ghetto, since it started to downpour in the middle of it, so i just hooked it up, and shut hood, but i havnt had an issue with it since i fixed how it was hooked up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joseph916