Push button starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr.hotrod

Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hello everybody, I decided that my 1986 squarebody needed a switch and push button starter. I'm not particularly worried about theft because my primary transportation is my motorcycle in the summer, and my Blazer is my primary transportation in the winter, otherwise the truck gets driven to mud bogs, or put in the barn. To end my rant of my life story, my problem is that wiring diagrams are greek to me, so I was wondering if anybody could help me through the process of hooking all this up. Thanks, Evan

Hoodbj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
If your switch is still functioning you can add a push button to engage the starter. Run a wire from the positive terminal of the battery, I would then install an inline fuse just in case something rubs it'll pop the fuse and not burn down truck. From the inline fuse continue with the wire to the push button. On the other post of the push button you can either tie into the existing wiring that goes to the solenoid (not sure the color, I think I've read purple but don't quote me on that) or simply run a new wire from the push button to the small terminal on your solenoid. If your ignition is also bad hopefully someone else can jump in on this. But as far as a push button that should get your starter spinning assuming the large cable from the battery is still hooked to the large post on the starter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69