Odd man in Europe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExPatSquareBdy

Reaction score
First Name
Volker
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
350 ci
Hello Forum! Driving around in our 1977 C15 Sierra Classic can be interesting over here in BMW/Mercedes/Porsche/VW Country. Although most of us "older" Germans know the C/K Series well in US Army Camouflage pattern before they have been replaced by Humvee and others, large pieces of American iron like ours are still a head turner wherever we go.

Nevertheless having an exotic truck (well - having a truck in General over here....) requires some networking. Which we are doing in our neighborhood (hello People of Cruise Cologne - should there be any here...) and with private as well as Business friends in the US. We`re hoping to expand our networking to the members of this Forum and enjoy sharing with you our adventures with our "T" (that`s how we call "him" - yeah he`s a Family member).

I personally believe that trucks like him are an organic life form and should be treated with respect. :)

Well, a bit about us: married, living at the river Rhine (well, no clichés please...), GM Family since decades (1 Cruze, 1 Insignia, aka Buick Regal and the truck of course), my wife: banker - myself: sales engineer, US fanatics :) - love to travel through the US Southwest.

Our truck: Pictures attached. 90% original. Well kept. Almost rust free. Runs on LPG Gas (Impco device) due to high gas cost here (current: approx. 7 Dollars a Gallon, LPG is about 2 Dollars a gallon). Historic license. No tax, very low insurance.

Thank you Folks and looking Forward to Keep in touch....

Attachments

• c15e.jpg
    c15e.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 55
  • C15-A.jpg
    C15-A.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 59

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Very nice truck!

ExPatSquareBdy

Reaction score
First Name
Volker
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
350 ci
Very nice truck!

Thank you. Actually built in your state (Janesville) and first sold thru a dealership in St.Cloud MN. I'm still in contact with the son of the trucks first owner. He kept it three years after his father passed away in 2010. I bought it in MN thru friends in Minneapolis, drove it to Texas and shipped it home. Picked it up from Antwerp and drove it home from there.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Welcome to GMSB Volker from OK, USA.

Very nice truck with a good story behind it.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome aboard
Nice Truck

donmateo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 TBI
Welcome from not too far from Janesville! What a neat rig to have, especially in Europe.

ExPatSquareBdy

Reaction score
First Name
Volker
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
350 ci
Thank you all. Well, we stand firm in our affection for old american iron and the lifestyle around it. But we`re not pampering our "T". He also does yardwork for us and tows our horses. I`ll post some pics in the relevant thread later today.

ExPatSquareBdy

Reaction score
First Name
Volker
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
350 ci
Welcome from not too far from Janesville! What a neat rig to have, especially in Europe.

Thanks Matt. I`ll be in the Chicago Suburbs in April. I may take the time to drive up there to see the plant before they take it down. I have a strange Habit: Whenever I go to important places, I collect a stone. A Stone of the Janesville assembly would be great Souvenir....

ExPatSquareBdy

Reaction score
First Name
Volker
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15 Sierra Classic
Engine Size
350 ci
Welcome to GMSB Volker from OK, USA.

Very nice truck with a good story behind it.

Thank you. The story from the Twin Cities to Houston was an adventure of its own. The tires were good but 15 years old. Like stone. The brakes were also good but as old. Stone too. The exhaust was one rust hole after the other. The alternator was delivering not much more than 11V. So I arrived at the shipping Company with the turn signal going only every 10 seconds and the seatbelt sign on. I kept thinking of the movie "Apollo 13":

"I Need amps...." :)

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer