Ignition switch or lock assembly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Last night when I turned the truck off, my ignition would not go all the way to "lock" and the key would not come out. I messed with it and finally the key was released.

I've searched the issue and it appears it might be the ignition switch?

What do you think, lock assembly or switch?

Thanks!

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Sounds like you need a new ignition lock assembly. They run about $25 on fleebay. Replacing them can be tricky. I'm sure somewhere on this site there was a writeup since it's a common dilemma. I can pull out my ignition key with the truck running. I need to replace mine, just adding it to the list of "to do".

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Thanks for the response. The lock does feel kind of sloppy and its not much money to replace. Think I'll do it and see what happens

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
you will need a steering wheel puller and the tool to compress the lock plate so you can get the clip off. After that you need to get the turn signal switch loose and pulled up a bit so you can get to the screw that holds the lock cylinder in. Assembly is the reverse.
Piece-O-Cake!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tazdar