How much paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
For all of you who has painted a square body before, how much paint do these trucks to paint? I need a range of how much paint to purchase, for the box, cab, fenders, hood, core support every single inch of the body except for the underside.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
you better get 2 gallons or more then, base coat might not take as much but clear you want 2 gallons to be sure, single stage at least 2.

my old man bought 2 gallons of single stage, 1 gallon of reducer and a pint of hardner, done both sides of the hood, the entire outside, and inside the cab, not the inner fenders or backside of the outer fenders, and tried to do inside the bed and ran out. I did have issues that made me run out, without those issues 2 gallons of single stage when mixed with the reducer and hardner which made over 3 gallons of sprayable material, would have been enough for sure. I also wet sand and buff so I had on a good 4-6 coats.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
I know that some brands cover better than others.

I would either opt for 1.5gl. or 2gl. just to be safe.

Again it depends on the brand as to wether it will cover all or not.

If you feel you need more, buy more.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
imo you can't really over buy uinless you get like 5 gallons or some crap like that, if you have an extra quart or more then good, if you ever need to touch up anything or want to color match something you have the EXACT same paint shade color mix and all. It'll match garunteed that way. Well as close as possible.

1973 Chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1970Something
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
5.9 6BT Cummins
imo you can't really over buy uinless you get like 5 gallons or some crap like that, if you have an extra quart or more then good, if you ever need to touch up anything or want to color match something you have the EXACT same paint shade color mix and all. It'll match garunteed that way. Well as close as possible.
I agree with that, I was just looking for a range.

Also is there a big difference between single stage and clear coating?

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
for me cutting and buffing, if you get something in the paint or any imperfections you can sand and buff it, now if you have peral or metallics IMO you MUST have clear coat to cut and buff, if not you will get into the pearl or flake and it can stripe or look bad afterwards, blouchy like.

If you have a solid color then you can cut and buff single stage no problems.

I've used a ton of single stage and like it, the flake is the only draw back I've ever had with single stage,

Others swear by bc/cc which I'm going to use on my truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeD