Can I drop a 1990 5.7L into a 1977 Sierra C25 with a 6.6L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diver206

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
C25
Engine Size
I need help guys! I let a friend borrow my truck to get firewood and he called me from the side of the highway one exit from my house on his way back with it last night. Had it towed home and took a look at it after work today. Looks like it put a rod through the oil pan! (There is a nice hole at the top of the pan and it wont turn over.) Another friend has a 1990 350 that I can have but I need to know if I can make this work or just start looking elsewhere. Truck is a '77 Sierra Classic 3/4 ton with a 400 in it now. Turbo 350 transmission and Quadrajet carb. I know the '90 (or at least the intake manifold?) was built for fuel injection, but have no idea if I can adapt to make it work. Will the manifold from the '77 400 fit the '99 350? Also, will the distributor drop straight in and if not, can I change the gear at the base of either his or mine to adapt? Any issues with heater hose on the manifolds? Exhaust manifold compatibility? Basically I just want to know if this swap is possible and any compatibility issues I'll have to address if it is. Sorry if any of this sounds ridiculous. I'm just really hoping to not have to buy a crate or rebuilt, especially with the likelihood of no rebuild-able block for the core charge. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10