Cab Underside Treatment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken B

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
So I got my cab on jack stands and I want to clean and protect the bottom of the cab. What have others used? I am not looking for a paint finish, I want underbody protection, please let me know what you have done.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
You and @Grit dog have seen the bottom of my cab. That is Tamco DTA primer. Like I said in your other thread I have never spray color and clear. If I screw it up I will cover it with an yet to be determined under coating. Probably 3m.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
I’ve had good results with the Professional Grade 3M undercoating..
There is a significant difference from the regular 3M in the white can.
it adheres better and cures to a durable coat.
You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^ I've used that stuff, it sticks well, as I recall.
Obligatory pic of the underside of my bed after coating with paint. (The rough looking spots are, presumably, old aftermarket undercoating, a heavy oil based undercoating. Someone got the ZIebart special and the bottom of the truck was half assed sprayed with this stuff, covering only maybe 50% of the undercarriage) I was not about to remove it all. It only scraped off if heated/burned.
Curoiusly enough, the paint appears to bond to it fairly well.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
^ I've used that stuff, it sticks well, as I recall.
Obligatory pic of the underside of my bed after coating with paint. (The rough looking spots are, presumably, old aftermarket undercoating, a heavy oil based undercoating. Someone got the ZIebart special and the bottom of the truck was half assed sprayed with this stuff, covering only maybe 50% of the undercarriage) I was not about to remove it all. It only scraped off if heated/burned.
Curoiusly enough, the paint appears to bond to it fairly well.

Do you think Tamco's hi impact clear would work over there Chasis black, or would that be a waste of time!

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Do you think Tamco's hi impact clear would work over there Chasis black, or would that be a waste of time!
Funny you should ask. I’m planning on using the chassis black on my wing window frames. I’ve got them ready to paint just haven’t yet. And was planning on clear coating over it. For UV protection.

My only reservation would be if the black is fully cured and too hard/smooth to allow a good bond without sanding it first.
I’d think if you did it within the allowable time for re-coating any 2k base coat it would stick no problem.

What do you mean by waste of time?
Not offer additional protection or not bond well?
Imo, chassis doesn’t need “that much” paint on it.
-Not exposed to UV light
- most of it not exposed to direct impacts from rocks and sand
-if rust is really an issue, most stuff rusts from the inside out and there’s other methods of sealing that up.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’ve had good results with the Professional Grade 3M undercoating..
There is a significant difference from the regular 3M in the white can.
it adheres better and cures to a durable coat.
There was a paint shop in Sioux Falls I bought this stuff by the case for $6/can. It goes on gooey but after it sets up, has a very factory coating feel and appearance. I used it on old 4N car restos. Was very OE-like. If you lay underneath the car/truck to spray it, wear a face shield and a coat/shirt you dont like as its messy and the spray nozzle will splatter a bit.

I have DTM epoxy primer for mine but will probably cover it and the bed's underside in this as a finish.

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
Funny you should ask. I’m planning on using the chassis black on my wing window frames. I’ve got them ready to paint just haven’t yet. And was planning on clear coating over it. For UV protection.

My only reservation would be if the black is fully cured and too hard/smooth to allow a good bond without sanding it first.
I’d think if you did it within the allowable time for re-coating any 2k base coat it would stick no problem.

What do you mean by waste of time?
Not offer additional protection or not bond well?
Imo, chassis doesn’t need “that much” paint on it.
-Not exposed to UV light
- most of it not exposed to direct impacts from rocks and sand
-if rust is really an issue, most stuff rusts from the inside out and there’s other methods of sealing that up.
I reached out to Tamco and they told me to let the chassis black flash 30-40 minutes and use the slow hardener with the Hi Impact clear. I was just thinking it would be more durable than just the chassis black. Not worried about rust anymore just longevity.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I reached out to Tamco and they told me to let the chassis black flash 30-40 minutes and use the slow hardener with the Hi Impact clear. I was just thinking it would be more durable than just the chassis black. Not worried about rust anymore just longevity.
That is great info! As I really didn't want to buy another little can of black base coat for the wing window frames, and want more protection than just the chassis paint.

swilson143

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
6.0L LQ4
I used UPOL epoxy spray liner for my wheel wheels. Affordable, available on Amazon, comes with spray gun. Super easy to spray, just make sure your masking job is well done!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmousseau8