blower motor resistor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987_chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I recently bought an old Chevy, and I've been having a hard time finding parts because it used to be a pull truck so it is a bunch of different years. But the cab is from a 1981 Chevy diesel. I'm not sure if it even has a blower motor resistor as wires to the blower motor have been cut off. And the original truck did have A/C. Can anyone tell me where it should be located?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The resistor is bolted to the blower housing near the blower motor, in the engine compartment. It looks like a flat panel held on with 2 bolts and 3 prongs sticking out for the harness plug.

1987_chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
The resistor is bolted to the blower housing near the blower motor, in the engine compartment. It looks like a flat panel held on with 2 bolts and 3 prongs sticking out for the harness plug.

OK so it should be on the box mounted to the firewall that the blower motor is in? The previous owner smashed that box pretty much back to the blower motor, so all I have is the blower motor. So i just buy another housing and blower motor resistor, right?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Here is the locations:

A/C Housing:

attachment.php

Heat only Housing:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0307.jpg
    IMG_0307.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,441
  • IMG_2240.jpg
    IMG_2240.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 636

1987_chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well it looks nothing like the first picture with A/C, very similar to the one with, but the switch does have A/C on it. I guess I'll have to look into it a little more before i buy a box.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
So you have an a/c firewall setup, even though it might not be on the selector in the cab. Somebody must have swapped in a different selector panel and messed with the system. Here is a pic of a resistor out of a heater only housing:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 435

1987_chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So you have an a/c firewall setup, even though it might not be on the selector in the cab. Somebody must have swapped in a different selector panel and messed with the system. Here is a pic of a resistor out of a heater only housing:

attachment.php

Well the switch in the cab does have A/C on it, sorry if i confused you. Do you have access to an A/C box? And I will need the resistor and the connector from the resistor to the blower motor. It was a pull truck before i bought it so they didn't need heat or A/C because it was never run on the road.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Well the switch in the cab does have A/C on it, sorry if i confused you. Do you have access to an A/C box? And I will need the resistor and the connector from the resistor to the blower motor. It was a pull truck before i bought it so they didn't need heat or A/C because it was never run on the road.

I can keep an eye open if I go to PAP and I plan on removing my a/c housing and installing a heat only housing so if you are still interested whenever that goes down it is yours, lol. I think oneluckypops has one for sale.

1987_chevy

Reaction score
First Name
Dylan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I can keep an eye open if I go to PAP and I plan on removing my a/c housing and installing a heat only housing so if you are still interested whenever that goes down it is yours, lol. I think oneluckypops has one for sale.

I replied to his thread, hopefully he still has it. It's not a huge hurry because the truck will not be done until March or April. But I've looked it up online and can't even find the connector wire for an A/C setup.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrandle