Back to square 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85 oil burner

Reaction score
First Name
richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
How yall doin,been a while since I been on here,anyway I am sad to report that all my work on my 2wd 85' Burb with a 6.2 diesel,700R4 trans. and recently installed 4.10 rear,finally gave up the ghost by having the flywheel rip the starter and bolts right off the block and taking a nice hunk of iron with it to the point of unrepairability,with lack of extra $$ in the ol' pocket I finally had to let her go,not a good day.Enter a new find, a 83' C20 2WD truck with the 700R4 ( hopefully with a full floating rear),but there is something quite odd with this find the owner says this beast is installed with a 4.56, now with a 700R4 that sounds awful odd ? My gut tells me this is a aftermarket setup like a Detroit Locker or a ARB or maybe a swap from a gutted from a miltary blazer or pickup with the Gov. Locker,but could the possibility exist of a factory 4.56 G80 wannabe locker being stock in those things ? I really do not like the G80 I had one in the original axle on the ol' burb with the 3.73 ratio and when I swapped axles the 4.10 came in the other one, I did like being able to tow heavy loads in 4th gear without about busting the tranny ,and the quicker pickup on the highway was great but when that heavy snow came in I sure wished back then I had a Detroit or even a Spool in the rear ,I mean yeah if its a factory option having the strength and the rock solid reliability of a 4.56 would be nice and all but I was told before that the 6.2 wouldn't like those gears and a 4.10 would be the best of both worlds,but if I can get the same MPG with the 4.56 (I am easy on the throttle and cruise around 62 mph on the highway ,as should be for a old heavy geared diesel) should I really go through the hassle all over again or be wiser this time around and just buy a set of chains for the winter with a 1,000 lbs of evenly distributed weight in the form of 80 lb. concrete bags in the back and just let sleeping dogs lie. R.I.P. "Burby" :angels2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianbones