Axle Swap - Fuel Econ Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nalanthi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reno
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Am I missing something?
I went from a 3.55 ratio to 4.10 to run 33" or 35" in the future. I'm running the same 31" tires and my econ seems to be cut almost in half - from 12-13MPG down to 6-6.5MPG.

I was under the impression that the change in fuel econ would for this setup would be quite decent.

...unless I'm misfiring again, which shouldn't be the case with a new dist, plugs, and wires. I'll have to check into that anyway. This all seems to have started after I swapped the axles. Hubs are unlocked, and everything spins quite freely.

Last edited:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
What tranny do you have ?

The problem is the tiny tires. If you have an overdrive you should be ok even with the tiny tires. But I suppose you have a 3spd automatic or a 4 spd manual ? which wouldn't make for great economy with 4.10s and tiny 31 inch tires.

Put on the 35s and you will be happy again:)

Nalanthi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reno
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ogre - long time, man.

I'm sitting on the 465.
Most of my driving is 13 miles each way daily - under 45MPH, half of which is in a 35MPH zone.

6.5MPG just doesn't seem right...

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Ya ok that is pretty atrocious fuel economy.

Quadjet right?

What have you checked so far ?

So long I almost don't remember lol :)

Nalanthi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reno
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
After I played with the Qjet for awhile, I flipped it on Craigslist, but I'll probably snag another later down the road for S&G.

I re-jetted a 1406 and have been using that since.

It's probably a dead plug in one of my no-fire spots when I had a trash distributor. Never changed the plugs there, so this thread is a kneejerk reaction. I'll yank plug tomorrow when I get home from work. I tried to light 'em up just an hour ago like I did when I first slapped the rear axle in and no dice - so this tells me everything I need to know.

Funny, however, that this just happened right as I swapped axles.

Nalanthi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Reno
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
...all worth it for the sake of "I drive an old steel carbed truck. **** you, sir."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bats_67