Writings on the wall, I think

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dcfirebottle

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 1500 Short bed
Engine Size
Been having a starter issue with my 81 K10. Truck originally came with 305 and was changed to some crate 350 (unable to find numbers that mean anything). I took a low torque starter off of it due to weak cranking and added the high torque thinking that would be the end of my starting problems. After trying to shim it down and or out with every possible combo, it was becoming clear they may have installed this engine on the cheap and used the old flywheel (reason for the low torque). Haven't counted the teeth yet but I'm almost a hundred percent sure that is the issue. I was just about to pull out the engine hoist when I thought I might get some expert opinions before I pull the trigger on a new flywheel installation. Is there anything I could try to possibly remedy this? All comments are appreciated.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Been having a starter issue with my 81 K10. Truck originally came with 305 and was changed to some crate 350 (unable to find numbers that mean anything). I took a low torque starter off of it due to weak cranking and added the high torque thinking that would be the end of my starting problems. After trying to shim it down and or out with every possible combo, it was becoming clear they may have installed this engine on the cheap and used the old flywheel (reason for the low torque). Haven't counted the teeth yet but I'm almost a hundred percent sure that is the issue. I was just about to pull out the engine hoist when I thought I might get some expert opinions before I pull the trigger on a new flywheel installation. Is there anything I could try to possibly remedy this? All comments are appreciated.
What is the actual issue? It doesn't crank fast? There are a few issues that could cause slow cranking(none of them relate to the flywheel).

1) Starter is just plain worn out(doesn't seem likely since you changed starter)
2) Your power wire, or more likely the ground wire, is insufficient(This is the most likely scenario as the OEM power wire is going to be old by now and the grounding was always terrible on these old trucks)
3) Your battery is dead or a low CCA cheapo battery

I would almost guarantee that it will be #2 if it isn't #3. The starter power comes in directly from the battery on that large 2/0 gauge wire. However, the ground for the starter is through the engine block. If you have corrosion or paint between the starter and the block, you won't be getting a good ground. If there is corrosion on the mounting bolts, you won't be getting a good ground. If you don't have a large 2/0 ground cable running from the alternator bracket to the battery, or even better from the alternator bracket to the frame and then from the frame to the battery, you won't have a good ground. There should also be a ground strap from the back of the passenger side cylinder head to the firewall for cab grounding. All of the ground and power connections need to be clean and free of paint or corrosion.

If you just get a grinding noise when you are trying to start the truck... then it is likely that the teeth on the flexplate have been ground off. The flexplates are also renowned for breaking the center out of them when you start making decent power. If you are going to replace the flexplate do it with an SFI rated aftermarket flexplate. Or is this actually a manual transmission truck? So it is a flywheel instead? Either way.. if it isn't grinding when you engage the starter, your problem isn't from the flywheel/flexplate.

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
All that. As well as, I just brought back a brand new starter that was junk out of the box. Because a part is new, don't mean it's good.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
All that. As well as, I just brought back a brand new starter that was junk out of the box. Because a part is new, don't mean it's good.
i would get an old used one from a farmer or someones shelf , such as if shipping wouldnt be prohibitive I would have one of like 8 to sell.. lol

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Dcfirebottle,

Okay! I read that you took the old factory starter off and put on a "high torque" type. I'm going to assume you mean the mini starter, right?

I consider myself some what of a semi-expert in this because I went through four flexplates before I discovered what my problems were, and I had no help, I had to figure it all out myself. It narrows down to three main problems.
1) flexplate It's possible the mounting block on your new mini starter is for a 12" 153 tooth flexplate. That's probably why you never could get it shimmed, and you never will! When you ordered the starter did you know what flexplate you had on the 305? It could be a car flexplate which in that case it is a 153 tooth flexplate. Most truck engines will have one size or the other flexplate, but I have an TH350 auto in mine and it has a 168 tooth 14" flexplate and most trucks do.
2) Mounting block If you have the 168 tooth flexplate on your truck then your starter is okay, you will need to change out the mounting block to one for a mounting block for the 168 tooth fexplate. Otherwise you'll never seem to get the shims right. It'll be to few or to many. The task will come in where you'll have to take the mounting block off the starter and change it out with the block for the bigger flexplate. Or just go get another mini starter and make sure it's for a 168 tooth flexplate. Then it should fit.
See, back when I was putting one on my truck there was a third bolt behind the solenoid, there are three bolts on the mounting block and all the mini starters were made that way and I went through several kinds. Nowadays the third bolt is outside of the solenoid and it's easy to change out the block. I guess the makers must have learned their lesson. that you had to take out to remove the block. then put that third bolt back in and remount the solenoid. It was a super pain in the rear end.
3) bolts Also, make sure you are using "starter bolts"!! Not 3/8" bolts. You will have endless starter problems with getting the starter to stay put if you are using 3/8" bolts. Stater bolts have serrations near the end of the shaft of the bolt where the threads start, like about an inch or a little more of serrations around the shaft of the bolt. What these serrations do is they take up the slack where the mounting block of the starter and the engine meet up. Now, there is instructions that will say to make sure you're in the correct mounting holes in the block, but I can guarantee you if you had put the starter in the wrong ones it would be at an impossible angle to the flexplate. You'd know if it wasn't in the right holes.

The wiring should be the battery wire, a sensor wire maybe #14 orange or tan, a #12 purple wire coming from the ignition switch, and a #14 yellow wire that's also part of the ignition wiring. The instructions will point to the correct hook up of the wires.

If all these things are like I have diagramed here you should have a good experience with your new mini starter. And yes, it will end all your starting problems. It certainly hqas mine. Once I relaized I had regular 3/8" bolts in mine that alone solved a lot of problems I was having. The eaten up flexplate teeth was due to 1) the bolts, and 2) getting the gear spacing correct with the proper thickness shims. Usually (1) .020" shim should get it. If you need to get a little closer you can use a .016" shim.

I hope this helps. Good luck! And if you need to know how to get the flexplate off without pulling the engine let me know here and I'll tell you. See, I didn't have a hoist either and had to figure out how to remove it safely from underneath without to much trouble at all.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
I’m assuming since you’re saying flywheel,it’s a standard trans?GM has a different starter for manual and autos.

Dcfirebottle

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10 1500 Short bed
Engine Size
Ya, it's manual but what's said still applies. The low torque starter is mainly for 305's and down. The mounting bolts are straight across from each other and shorter, if I'm not mistaken. The high torque starter was for 350 and up and bolts mounted diagonally. Each are just regular starters, not aftermarket... Starter taken off and the one I put on are both new. All wires are new including batt pos & neg. Battery is new. I'll get down there and count the teeth sometime today or tonight. You bring up some good points Raider, I'll check it out. Thank you all for your input. I'll post again when I know more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dpickett1981