Wiper motor has no programmed stop/start position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big _Betsy_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
350ci
Whenever operating the wipers recently, I have to turn them off at the switch at just the right time or they don't return to the stop/start position. I'm thinking it might be a bad ground or connection at the motor and have done zero investigation as of yet. She is an '84 I think. Hope it doesn't stop me from getting her to pass inspection.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Whenever operating the wipers recently, I have to turn them off at the switch at just the right time or they don't return to the stop/start position. I'm thinking it might be a bad ground or connection at the motor and have done zero investigation as of yet. She is an '84 I think. Hope it doesn't stop me from getting her to pass inspection.

Usually that's caused by a bad park switch in the wiper motor.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Do you have delay wipers? If so, I think I think I once had a delay module cause the same problem. But the wiper motor is still a likely culprit.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My new wiper motor does the same thing. I have to stop it at the exact right time or it’ll park in an awkward spot.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
mine was doing the same thing until I changed the motor recently.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Do you have delay wipers? If so, I think I think I once had a delay module cause the same problem. But the wiper motor is still a likely culprit.
do gm cars of the area have interchangeable wiper motor parts/internals? one might be able to boneyard a cheap fix

bedwards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 Silverado
Engine Size
Before you spend money, clean the top connection on the wiper motor. That's the one that tells the wipers they are parked. I lubed the inside of the wiper transmission while I was there and the symptoms went away.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
do gm cars of the area have interchangeable wiper motor parts/internals? one might be able to boneyard a cheap fix

Yes, but those wiper motors with the built in washer pump are intricate and finicky. It might take several attempts to doctor one up unless you are already an expert.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yes, but those wiper motors with the built in washer pump are intricate and finicky. It might take several attempts to doctor one up unless you are already an expert.
ontop of generally not being that good it sounds like its not worth anything? Also, i didnt read right on what you posted before. this park switch sounds to be internal and not serviceable, i think im understanding. what i said is probably not worth the attempt almost ever then

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Dude.
I was drivin down the highway when I reached put the window of the Civic to "pop" whatever was underneath it out? You ever done that?
About a mile and a half down the road the damned thing flew off @about 65mph.

It was still misting omw home this morning..... o_O oh yeah....
Stupid thing is half a wiper with a plastic clippy that costs $25. Guess I broke it. :shrug:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Dude.
I was drivin down the highway when I reached put the window of the Civic to "pop" whatever was underneath it out? You ever done that?
About a mile and a half down the road the damned thing flew off @about 65mph.

It was still misting omw home this morning..... o_O oh yeah....
Stupid thing is half a wiper with a plastic clippy that costs $25. Guess I broke it. :shrug:
The whole arm? I twisted my park avenues about 30 degrees in the same plane as the wheels turn... so... very strange.. when the nut holding it on went loose and the wiper was playing swordfish with the passenger when it hopped into the way

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceyman72