Windshield washer motor questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Is the washer motor on the water jug or the wiper motor? When I hit the washer button I can hear the motor on the firewall come on but nothing comes out and there's another motor or pump on the jug. It doesn't come on. So I'm confused about how this works. Thanks for any information on this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Pulled the harness and didn't seem to get power to the test light when I hit the button. I grounded it and stuck the prong in the red wire connector. Did I test it wrong?

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Your wiper motor is on the firewall and that is the washer fluid pump on the bottle. When you hit the washer function the wipers should start moving, and the pump motor should turn on for the time you're holding wash.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
for the pump - one of the wires should have 12v with ign on. the other one provides the ground when you press "wash".

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's a mix of parts here. The washer pump was on the wiper motor '84 and prior. The washer pump was in the reservoir on '85-up.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
I'm not getting power to the pump on the jug when I push the button. I can hear the pump on the firewall come on tho and wipers start working. So I wired up the pump to the battery and nothing either. Is there a fuse on the box somewhere for it? I didn't see one. Plus I think the pump is bad too.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I'm not getting power to the pump on the jug when I push the button. I can hear the pump on the firewall come on tho and wipers start working. So I wired up the pump to the battery and nothing either. Is there a fuse on the box somewhere for it? I didn't see one. Plus I think the pump is bad too.
if power to the pump does nothing, you need a new pump. delco/delphi standard washer pump, used for YEARS by gm. available new or used.

Bloodhound1981

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
Probably just need a new washer pump. Cheap and easy.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
sounds like the pump on the motor is kicking on? you seem to maybe have a mix of parts and need to sort out how it is supposed to work before you can really troubleshoot. there shouldn't be both a pump on the motor and a pump on the tank. you only need 1 or the other

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
sounds like the pump on the motor is kicking on? you seem to maybe have a mix of parts and need to sort out how it is supposed to work before you can really troubleshoot. there shouldn't be both a pump on the motor and a pump on the tank. you only need 1 or the other
his truck originally had the one on the wiper motor, he is trying to re-route power to the one in reservoir but the pump there isnt working directly to + and -

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There's a mix of parts here. The washer pump was on the wiper motor '84 and prior. The washer pump was in the reservoir on '85-up.

Ahem...

Your wash pump in the bottle probably isn't getting power because the wires lead to nowhere. If you want to use that style (I would) then wire a new pump (since yours is evidently dead) to the pump connector that's currently powering the pump on the wiper motor. Split the output to both washer hoses.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
Ahem...

Your wash pump in the bottle probably isn't getting power because the wires lead to nowhere. If you want to use that style (I would) then wire a new pump (since yours is evidently dead) to the pump connector that's currently powering the pump on the wiper motor. Split the output to both washer hoses.
Yes I pulled the wires that went to the jug pump. They were cut. So obviously no power. Idk why he would have done that. B7t as far as I can figure the pump on the jug pumps water to the pump on the wiper motor. So I need to find the wire that is hot when I push the button. Sucks!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yes I pulled the wires that went to the jug pump. They were cut. So obviously no power. Idk why he would have done that. B7t as far as I can figure the pump on the jug pumps water to the pump on the wiper motor. So I need to find the wire that is hot when I push the button. Sucks!

NO! I already explained it to you. The jug pump means you have the wrong reservoir for your year. But thats fine. You replace the pump on the wiper motor with the jug pump (they are better!) and route the hose for the nozzles to the pump on the jug, and you wire the pump to the command wire for the pump on the wiper motor so it activates it

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
So I was going to change parts out from my 86 lwb to my 84 swb and noticed some significant differences. I pulled out the ol’ LMC catalog and found their was a change in 85. Well, I want to sort out the bugs while the 84 is torn apart. However, I’m not sure how the old pump works and how the lines need to be connected. Here are photos of how the 84 is now. There are two lines from the pump that run to where each wiper is located. The passenger side wasn’t connected when I got the truck and no line went to the reservoir bottle. I was also planning to change the headlight wiring harness, but the pump on the 86 is wired into the headlight ha

The 86 motor and the wiring harness

You can use the '86 bottle and pump on your '84, it's a much better setup. Just use the connector from your '84 wiper motor (pink and yellow wires) to power the washer pump in the bottle.

You can use the '86 wiper motor too if you want. It bolts up and functions the same, other than that washer pump connector.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
Engine Size
454, 305
NO! I already explained it to you. The jug pump means you have the wrong reservoir for your year. But thats fine. You replace the pump on the wiper motor with the jug pump (they are better!) and route the hose for the nozzles to the pump on the jug, and you wire the pump to the command wire for the pump on the wiper motor so it activates it

Ahem...

Thank y'all for the help! Got the new pump and wired it up and now works great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35