White smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sully5734

Reaction score
First Name
Kasey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
5.7 v8
Hey, whenever I hit the gas I am getting no acceleration and lots of white smoke out of exhaust any help would be great.. I'm guessing head gasket but please give me your ideas

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Do you have any whitish froth on your oil cap, or is your oil turning milky? Do you notice your coolant level going down? Are you overheating or running hotter than normal? Those are good markers to see if coolant is getting in your oil. There's a chemical tester you can borrow from Autozone to test for combustion gasses in the cooling system if you don't see anything. You just have to buy the fluid, which they have at the store. I think the tool is called a combustion leak detector. Don't let coolant burble up into the testing chamber, or it'll corrupt the test, and you'll have to start over. Is this white smoke happening all the time, even when it's warm, or is it just when you start it up because mine'll puff like a chimney, but it's just condensation evaporating, and it goes away shortly. It's not proportional to acceleration, either, which yours is. It sounds like a head gasket issue to me. I don't know how clearly visible those markers will be if it just started happening, but if it's been doing it for a bit, you should notice a loss in coolant level, and a problem with your oil without having to do the combustion test.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody