Where to mount cb antena on 90 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
Looking for opinions on where to mount a cb antena on a 1990 gmc suburban. Pics would be great. Hoping to do it with minimal hackery drilling ect. But dont want temporary install either (wires running out doors or windows ect...) thinking on using a fiberglass antena on a spring and possibly quick disconnect for when not in use. Would like all opinions thanks mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I tried to find pictures, but it seems that people with SUV's are either mounting them by the rear taillights, on the cowl, or on the fender. I think it would look good mounted opposite your radio antenna on the other fender. If the masts were the same length, that would look even better.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
keep in mind you ideally want to have 360 degrees open all the way around for best SWR performance. mounting it too close to a vertical surface like in back on the bumper will cause your system to have a dead area projecting forward from the truck for send and receive. Ideally smack in the center of the roof will function the best. This will allow the entire roof to become a ground plane for the antenna. I personally wouldn't like a very long whip up there but a good tuned antenna about 2' long should work ok. next option in my opinion would be the front fender. I know the k-40 antenna was one that had a quick disconnect base but I never owned one.

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
keep in mind you ideally want to have 360 degrees open all the way around for best SWR performance. mounting it too close to a vertical surface like in back on the bumper will cause your system to have a dead area projecting forward from the truck for send and receive. Ideally smack in the center of the roof will function the best. This will allow the entire roof to become a ground plane for the antenna. I personally wouldn't like a very long whip up there but a good tuned antenna about 2' long should work ok. next option in my opinion would be the front fender. I know the k-40 antenna was one that had a quick disconnect base but I never owned one.
Have barn doors or rear bumper is out anyways. Does whole antena need to be above the roof line or is it only a certain amount like the tip or x number of feet of it.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
Evefything im reading says go minimum 4 or 5 ft fiberglass antena. If im mounting it on the roof rack of my over 8 ft tall vehicle do i still need to ho that long?

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Evefything im reading says go minimum 4 or 5 ft fiberglass antena. If im mounting it on the roof rack of my over 8 ft tall vehicle do i still need to ho that long?

You want as much antenna above the cab as possible. You can run a 3' firestik, but you'll have better receiving/transmitting with the 4 or 5' antennas.

Best would be the 102" steel whip because of how tall they sit allowing you to receive and transmit the best signal without any physical interference.

My buddy and I thought of an idea to have a pivoting mount for the fiberglass antennas when mounting them up on a roof rack. Would allow you to flip it up quickly when wanting to use your cb, but flip it down for clearance and whenever you don't need to use the cb.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
What is your intentended use and expected range? a 3' fire stick on the roof will work but most likely have a limited range. Tuning the SWR of the system will help. A good tuned system with a shorter antenna can out perform a system with an ideal antenna but less than ideal SWR readings.

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
What is your intentended use and expected range? a 3' fire stick on the roof will work but most likely have a limited range. Tuning the SWR of the system will help. A good tuned system with a shorter antenna can out perform a system with an ideal antenna but less than ideal SWR readings.
My intended use is 4wheeling off road to communicate to others off road and my spotter with a hand held cb radio. Thats why i was worried about the added legnth on an already tall vehicle off road where trees ect could be an issue. I was just wondering if the legnth was still necessary when mounting to my roof since all of the antena will be above the roof. But im thinking fire stick with a spring hopefully that will protect it when ot hits things.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
My intended use is 4wheeling off road to communicate to others off road and my spotter with a hand held cb radio. Thats why i was worried about the added legnth on an already tall vehicle off road where trees ect could be an issue. I was just wondering if the legnth was still necessary when mounting to my roof since all of the antena will be above the roof. But im thinking fire stick with a spring hopefully that will protect it when ot hits things.

For that a shorter mast will work. Thats all short range. Just be sure to tune the SWRs.

mrgoodwrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
silverado
Engine Size
I will be tuning it for sure.

Latest posts