Wheels 79 K30

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian Quigley

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I am working on a 79 K30,
When complete it will be used as a utility vehicle for a Volunteer Fire Department.
It will tow a Gator on a trailer, and be used for retrieving Wet Hose from Fire Scenes, and just general use.
It may or may not have a Pump and tank installed in the bed for brush fire situations.

A brand new set of 4 General Grabbers were donated to the Fire Department for this project.
The problem I am having is....

They are for 18" wheels. What is my best bet for finding 18" wheels to fit the 8x6.5 bolt pattern that are 18"????

The only aftermarket I am finding are really expensive, so its defeats the great donation of new tires.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
You might want to give tirerack.com a call, the website doesn't really cooperate when I tried to search for a basic steel wheel in that size. One of heir reps might be able to put you onto something though. One other thought I had, was I realize that you would like to use the donated tires, but it may end up being more expensive for the department than putting the stock size on, when it come timeto replace them again.

Brian Quigley

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Thanks for the quick response
I am on the forum asking because I want feedback from others that have run into similar issues. I am pretty confident there are other year/make/model that will fit the pattern and not look like ****.
I search the internet pretty well before I post.

Not really worried about replacement cost, This truck should only see a couple hundred miles a year if even that much.
The tires should last many many years before needing replacement.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
05-14 Ford super duty's had 18" 8x6.5 (this is wrong, they are 8x170 wheels. Im sure you can score those used from ebay or craigslist. Chevy 2500 and 3500 have 18" wheels also but I believe they are later model and may have either a different bolt pattern or hub diameter.

These are the Ford wheels:
You must be registered for see images attach

edited to correct information

Last edited:

Brian Quigley

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Perfect. Thank You...
Anymore I shy away from eBay and Craigs... I have just been using the Facebook marketplace.
I don't know why but it is just more comfortable knowing you can see a persons profile.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
05-14 Ford super duty's had 18" 8x6.5 wheels. Im sure you can score those used from ebay or craigslist. Chevy 2500 and 3500 have 18" wheels also but I believe they are later model and may have either a different bolt pattern or hub diameter.

Those are pretty nice!

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
No problem @Brian Quigley. Its pretty sweet that the dept is running with an old truck / project. I try to get funds to modernize our van at my dept but its pretty far down the priority list. We have a 1977 Chevy P30 step. One of the rescue companies has an 89 R3500 for crash response. I get what you mean on craigslist, it can be a little sketchy sometimes. Ebay is easy because if you use paypal youre protected. I've never lost money using ebay.

@ajdemello They look kinda like Mickey Thompson Bajas which are a pretty sweet wheel for our trucks.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
05-14 Ford super duty's had 18" 8x6.5 wheels. Im sure you can score those used from ebay or craigslist. Chevy 2500 and 3500 have 18" wheels also but I believe they are later model and may have either a different bolt pattern or hub diameter.

Ford super duty wheels are NOT the old 8x6.5 bolt pattern! Hopefully nothing has been bought yet. They are 8x170mm btw. Also, the '05 and newer have a lot of backspacing.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
Ford super duty wheels are NOT the old 8x6.5 bolt pattern! Hopefully nothing has been bought yet. They are 8x170mm btw. Also, the '05 and newer have a lot of backspacing.

Thanks for the correction. I thought they changed bolt patterns recently.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thanks for the correction. I thought they changed bolt patterns recently.

GM and Dodge did more recently, to 8x180mm I think. But Ford changed in '99.

Brian Quigley

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
No problem @Brian Quigley. Its pretty sweet that the dept is running with an old truck / project. I try to get funds to modernize our van at my dept but its pretty far down the priority list. We have a 1977 Chevy P30 step. One of the rescue companies has an 89 R3500 for crash response. I get what you mean on craigslist, it can be a little sketchy sometimes. Ebay is easy because if you use paypal youre protected. I've never lost money using ebay.

@ajdemello They look kinda like Mickey Thompson Bajas which are a pretty sweet wheel for our trucks.

Our Old Brush truck was a 52 Dodge Power Wagon.
although it was a great ride and pretty much unstoppable, the younger guys could not drive it.
No power steering or power brakes made it dangerous.
So this is an upgrade... LOL the most important part for me was the ability to work on the truck ourselves.
and I didn't want another "Dedicated" brush truck but instead a multi purpose utility pick up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mattyb