Wheel balancing rant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
Sorry for the rant.
I went for an inspection today and asked them to balance my BFG Mud terrains. They said "No problem".
Took 3 hours and I was late when I left.
After getting home, I had a look and realized that the tech had installed "hammer on" lead weights on the OUTSIDE of my Aluminum mag wheels. I just cannot believe it.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
DOH! :chair:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
One word Equal well I think that’s what it’s called small bags of sand that go in the tire never have to worry about balancing and that sucks about your rims the dicks....

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It should be law that weights do not get installed on outer lips of mag wheels.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Take them right back and make them fix it. I hope they did not screw up your wheels!

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I’d lose my mind on them. Granted, some of the tire change guys aren’t the sharpest cats around but still.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
When you have wide tires that are way out of balance, it is very hard to get them right, especially just using the inside of the wheel. A wide tire that is not balanced on the outside could just wear out even more quickly, or could be ready the seperate, which is even worse.
Maybe your tire is not up to snuff.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
When you have wide tires that are way out of balance, it is very hard to get them right, especially just using the inside of the wheel. A wide tire that is not balanced on the outside could just wear out even more quickly, or could be ready the seperate, which is even worse.
Maybe your tire is not up to snuff.

I just hate weights on the outside exposed surface. On my personal cars, I have always been willing to chance a minor tire shake if it means no exposed weights. Most wheel designs will permit mounting sticky weights right behind the face of the wheel. You just have to setup the balancer a little different for that to work correctly.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Static balancing I like the sand stuff in th the tires I guess now they dare using air soft pellets. Continuous balancing over the entire life of the tire.

Encinoman45

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
You are better off using Equal in the tires instead of weights for large, difficult to balance tires.
Its can be a tedious job balancing some tires. I've had vibration issues that couldn't even get resolved using road force balancers.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
COLD DAY before I would EVER go back to THAT store.

Mark the tire and switch em yourself... It's not hard.

I think weights on the inside is called "dynamic balance".
That's what I say.

AND

My Firestone M/Ts have a ****** lip of the tire that covers the edge of the wheel.
The result is STICK ON weights INSIDE the wheel, towards the brake caliper.
Runnin 15s have to be careful because if they stack the stick ons, you can count of losing weights before you make it out of the lot. NOT a lot of room there.

The lesson to learn is that you aficionados like US must be more hands on. If the tire shop won't let you coach, walk away and get taken care of at Discount Tire.
Maybe that's the lesson...just sayin, they EARN my business and i'm out in the shop when my tires are gettin work!

Sucks, but we are a particular type. Square body brothers... We like the trucks to be very particular.
I am NOT the average tire shop customer and you will NOT find me OR my truck at an average tire shop.
I want the letters/valve stem on the tire turned to a certain place on EVERY wheel. **** around! I want them all the same. Idgaf what the little dot says, now balance it..it's gotta look cool.
The devil is in the details, it's the little things...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Switch tire shops. I have never had wheel weights on the outside of my wheels and never any issues. Sounds to me like that tire shop obviously has unqualified techs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224