Wheel and tire size help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
@bluex a while back I did the axle flip kit as you recommended (and while we are on the topic of lowering), currently procrastinating grinding off the stock bump stops to install low profile ones. The stock stops are resting on the axle...is there any damage that could happen to the axle for basic onroad driving?

It's not good for it that's for sure. Get the brackets off asap an use a low profile urethane bump stop.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Flip your axle and buy some magnesium skid bars for your rear bumper.
Bump stops are un-nessesary, when you are lowering the truck.
Slamming on the ground and bending your frame is cool.

Adjustable Air shocks control that frame slam, not bump stops.

My bad for suggesting the links. (Even though you liked them).

Pardon me for questioning slammed trucks, without proper engineering of the frame and suspension, so a guy doesn't wreck hids truck..

Tell me one good reason to be mad at anything I posted?
Seriously?

My but don't hurt at all.
Ya'll are acting stoopid and ganging up on nothing but common sense.
Grow up. Making up drama where ther isn't any?

I'm not mad, it's just the typical bad info an opinion of "don't ruin a truck by lowering it" bs that's spouted all over the place by people that don't or have never had lowered trucks....

These trucks have been around an been lowered forever now. The "engineering" has been done for decades. Yet people still love to put out this nonsense about it being unsafe an dangerous....

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
thanks for the help! what did you do to combat the rubbing for your larger tire?

The truck im buying does not have stock tires/rims on it, it has 31s which i doubt will fit. this puts me in a bit of a predicament when buying new tires/wheels (will need to be done before i drop it).
i have that exact kit in my shopping cart! I'm looking to start with a 3/4 and maybe go lower to 4/5 if im feeling comfortable. maybe add a lowering coil in front and remove some overload springs in rear (i will not be hauling or towing).

SO i guess my questions now are if i buy a 16x8 for front and 16x10 for rear, if i stick around 27/28" tall tire does offset or backspacing matter? and how wide could i go without rubbing?

Measure what clearance you have now. A 3/4 drop will probably just close up the gap you have to the tire now. If you stay at a 3/4 drop a 30/31" tall tire will still be fine. 27" tires on the front are what you need for a 4 or 5" drop.

I run a 30.5" (295/45/20) tall rear tire on my air ride truck. The rear has tons of room.

Any cast off the shelf wheel is going to be the correct backspace for the truck an especially at a 3/4 drop its not going to be much of a worry at all. The 8/10 wide combo will be fine as well. I discuss that a little more in the thread I linked earlier.

ajwic1

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
c2500
Engine Size
5.7L v8 (350)
Measure what clearance you have now. A 3/4 drop will probably just close up the gap you have to the tire now. If you stay at a 3/4 drop a 30/31" tall tire will still be fine. 27" tires on the front are what you need for a 4 or 5" drop.

I run a 30.5" (295/45/20) tall rear tire on my air ride truck. The rear has tons of room.

Any cast off the shelf wheel is going to be the correct backspace for the truck an especially at a 3/4 drop its not going to be much of a worry at all. The 8/10 wide combo will be fine as well. I discuss that a little more in the thread I linked earlier.
Final question. Ive done some digging on tire sizes and whatnot for 16/17” rims and coming up pretty short if i want to run a 27/28” tall. And the options that are available tend to be for cars not trucks. Is this a problem people have encountered? Are people just running car rated tires on their trucks?

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Final question. Ive done some digging on tire sizes and whatnot for 16/17” rims and coming up pretty short if i want to run a 27/28” tall. And the options that are available tend to be for cars not trucks. Is this a problem people have encountered? Are people just running car rated tires on their trucks?

Depends...Are you using the truck for serious truck things or just cruising? These trucks are not very heavy and car tires would be fine.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Gotta figure out what you want to do with the truck. If it’s sittin lowered on 35series tires it’s not a weight hauler anymore.
But for any normal service AND hauling some weight in the back, most any 50psi XL rated tire will do everything you need plus a little, weight capacity wise. And you can get them in any size you’d run on that truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod