What oils do I need

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Overthedge21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
M1010
Engine Size
6.2 Diesel
I have a 1987 chevy k10 with th TBI 350. Has an automatic trans, 3spd th350 i think. I need to do an oil change in both the engine and trans, as well as new coolant. I dont have a manual, and the online ones have been no help to me. So does anyone here know what weight oil is good for the engine, what works for the trans, and what type of coolant is good, as well as rough amount of each so I know how much to buy?

Hoodbj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
5w 30 for the engine oil should be correct. It's usually written on the oil filler cap. I usually get 5 qts. Dextron transmission fluid should be correct for the transmission, not sure the quantity, the type of fluid used is sometimes stamped on the dipstick. As far as antifreeze I use the green undiluted, I bought 2 gallons and didn't use all of it as I mixed it 50/50 with distilled water.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
original oil cap would have said 10w 30

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Agreed on all. If you drain it all just from the pan, I'd say anywhere from 3.5 - 4.5 quarts. You can use the cheap Dexron equivalent from Walmart, aka Supertech. Either way, unless you have a drain plug on your pan, you need to add some and check the dipstick with the motor warm and running and add as needed. Don't forget to change the trans filter while you got the pan off. I use Castrol 5W30 semi-synthetic high mileage blend myself. We had a discussion the other day on filters, and the general consensus is stay away from Fram. Wix, NAPA Gold, AC Delco, STP, and a slew of others are good, American made filters.

Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
What does the fluid in the tranny look like, is it still nice and red or turning brown???, gotta remember there's just as much or more fluid in the converter as the pan, if the old fluid is junk then putting new fluid in the pan will be contaminated within seconds and you just turned 4qrts of new fluid into junk..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76