What new tools have you got lately?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I would hope the handle is tougher since the handle accounts for 80% of the cost. You’ll be doing without the warranty too and you’re probably better off getting the whole tool if you have the tool guy visiting you anyway.

I've witnessed a few of those exact handles break with not much abuse.

Not to hurt anyone's feelings, but matco is just a tool distributor, they don't make ANY tools. They just markup for the name, and sell other companies stuff.

Yeah, but I'm sure Matco doesn't use those Pittsburgh handles. If they do, shame on them.

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't know who makes the ratchet heads for Matco but they feel better than the Tektons I have. Not by a huge margin or anything but some better. The Tekton flex head has a more positive flex joint than whatever you can scheme up with a hybrid like this. I only have a 1/4" snap-on to compare to them with a lot of age on it. I can't remember how it compared when it was new. We will see how they last. I just work on my own stuff so I can't justify paying the tool truck prices. I came across this hack on Garage Journal and later on Facebook and thought I would give it a go. Both the icon bar on the 3/8 and the Pittsburg bar needed a little modification to make them work. The Icon was the easier fit though. I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you just wanted a little project or something to talk about :D

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't know who makes the ratchet heads for Matco but they feel better than the Tektons I have. Not by a huge margin or anything but some better. The Tekton flex head has a more positive flex joint than whatever you can scheme up with a hybrid like this. I only have a 1/4" snap-on to compare to them with a lot of age on it. I can't remember how it compared when it was new. We will see how they last. I just work on my own stuff so I can't justify paying the tool truck prices. I came across this hack on Garage Journal and later on Facebook and thought I would give it a go. Both the icon bar on the 3/8 and the Pittsburg bar needed a little modification to make them work. The Icon was the easier fit though. I wouldn't recommend doing it unless you just wanted a little project or something to talk about :D

So far everything Icon I've used has seemed really good. The wrenches are nearly a direct copy of Snap-On and seem just as strong. It's a shame they are only sold in sets though.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Made this one myself. $6.79 in hardware at Ace. 4"X5/16 bolts, 2 nuts per bolt, 2 washers per bolt. Its a universal carburetor stand.

Attachments

• carb stand 1.jpeg
    carb stand 1.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 28
  • carb stand 3.jpeg
    carb stand 3.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 25
  • Carb stand 2.jpeg
    Carb stand 2.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 29

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
Some, if not most will scoff at me. But I enjoy high quality and I'm definitely a sentimental person. Sucker for heritage and lineage, and history/names. Was just gonna get the click style, as that's what I know and enjoy. But since I get into the higher torque ranges, I would have had to buy the smaller version AND the larger version, with this one I can almost do everything. For under 15 ft lbs I'll just feel it out like always with a regular ratchet, or the really light duty stuff I'll get like a torque screwdriver.

Buy once cry once, especially for precision work. I'm definitely not the "make sure you torque that" guy. Until it comes to engines, transmissions, axles. All the precision stuff anyways. I could probably count on two hands how many times I've used a torque wrench. So I'm not a torque preacher in the least.

Snapon techangle 1/2 drive 15-300 ft lbs. All black version. It even does nm, inch lbs and a couple other units. Also has a built in angle feature, so like for torque to yield bolts, like crank bolts and whatnot, you do your torque then switch it to angle and it'll calculate your degree of rotation and warn you just like torquing. That way you're super accurate. It has an lcd display and it can beep, vibrate, and has a little led ramp gauge when you get close to your value as well as it has real time torque output display.

So in theory you can use this like a beam style torque wrench as well, to measure drag in rotational force, seeing the real time amount of torque it takes to turn, as in like setting pinion preload on an axle.

Lifetime tools hold high value in my eyes. Especially these days in a throwaway society. "wEll iF It BrEAks JuST WarrANTY a nEw oNE". Trust me I understand that, but I can do the same thing? lol, and I'll still have a better tool. It may not be as fast as going to the store and getting a new one, but I also usually can't talk to a real person, as well as I don't have any harbor freight around here I don't even think within 300 miles. Edit: they just opened a harbor freight 100 miles from me lol. Still not worth it.

Quality feel in my hands is way more important than being able to go get a new one when it breaks. I also develop attachments to tools like trucks and anything else, so you'd just throw away your square for a different one that's not broken?

I love the thought that 100 years from now, someone will probably be buying my tools as vintage pieces. They'll still work and look great too. I'm just rambling now. Love the all black.
You must be registered for see images attach
I really need (want?) one these little jewels. I bought my first torque wrench (Craftsman) when I came back from SEA. Alas it has given up the ghost, and no spare parts are available to repair it. Anybody know what one of these jewels runs off the Snap-On truck? Maybe Santa will be good to me this upcoming Dec. I know, don't hold my breath waiting for that to happen, I've been the extended family's St. Nick for over 4 decades.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I really need (want?) one these little jewels. I bought my first torque wrench (Craftsman) when I came back from SEA. Alas it has given up the ghost, and no spare parts are available to repair it. Anybody know what one of these jewels runs off the Snap-On truck? Maybe Santa will be good to me this upcoming Dec. I know, don't hold my breath waiting for that to happen, I've been the extended family's St. Nick for over 4 decades.
If you know your Snap-on guy well, you should be able to get a little discount. Retail was $750 before tax.

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350
If you know your Snap-on guy well, you should be able to get a little discount. Retail was $750 before tax.
Thanks. I found several on FB Marketplace for $500 (1/2 inch). Not sure I want to buy used, don't know how many times it's been dropped, or how long since it was calibrated. OBTW, what does a calibration cost from a Snap-on mobile dealer?

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Thanks. I found several on FB Marketplace for $500 (1/2 inch). Not sure I want to buy used, don't know how many times it's been dropped, or how long since it was calibrated. OBTW, what does a calibration cost from a Snap-on mobile dealer?
That's why I went new as well. I'm sure a good truck guy would have the calibration tester, and would do it for free. But to actually calibrate the tool, I'm sure it would have to get sent out, I don't think It's spendy. A good tool truck guy would also usually have a loaner tool while that takes place, for a shop guy anyways.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
So far everything Icon I've used has seemed really good. The wrenches are nearly a direct copy of Snap-On and seem just as strong. It's a shame they are only sold in sets though.
Thanks for the tip. I'm at the point where I really hate buying any tools off of any of the tool trucks because I feel like they are very over priced. Especially for stuff used on the farm, where it's used outside, sometimes in the mud, sometimes someone else is using them and might get lost. We've got a bunch of Pittsburg sockets and wrenches on the farm and they have been great for what they are used for but the Pittsburg ratchets suck. So last year I bought a couple of Snap-on ratchets, just the basic 3/8" was $140! So it one of them disappears, or enough sockets disappear to warrant buying a new set I'd get the Icon.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
picked up a DA polisher from HF. Tried a spot on the eggshell on the passenger side.....gonna make things faster to repaint it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus