what muffler do you use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trippin3030

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 campers special
Engine Size
on the last leg of my rebuild and one of the questions that needs an answer is what is a good muffler for a 3/4 ton 4x4 the whole rebuild has been based around making it a 4x4 machine but it will like most trucks be used around town for work I don't care about speed I need torque. the sound I like is a low growl at idle and something throaty on acceleration its hard to explain but I basically just want something that will get me what I need for 4x4ing and shut up the little import with the fart cannon beside me at the lights. so if I could get a minute of your time to find out what you use I would really appreciate it thanks for reading.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
on the last leg of my rebuild and one of the questions that needs an answer is what is a good muffler for a 3/4 ton 4x4 the whole rebuild has been based around making it a 4x4 machine but it will like most trucks be used around town for work I don't care about speed I need torque. the sound I like is a low growl at idle and something throaty on acceleration its hard to explain but I basically just want something that will get me what I need for 4x4ing and shut up the little import with the fart cannon beside me at the lights. so if I could get a minute of your time to find out what you use I would really appreciate it thanks for reading.

Magnaflow, or any straight through types of full body muffler. Screw the Flowmaster gimmik ********. Stuff eventually rusts, and comes loose.
Length will dtermin volume...the longer, the quieter.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
It also depends on what your rebuild is. I had dual Thrush welded turbo mufflers on my 400 and it had a nice very low deep rumble to it. The kind of sound that would go thru walls- the wife always knew when I idled up the driveway after work at 3am. I loved it.

I just put in a 383 with vortec heads and it has a roller cam. My exhaust is now raspy, loud, annoying, and sounds like someone beating the crap out of steel drums. Same exhaust, different engine, completely different exhaust sound.

I too will be shopping for new mufflers eventually and want the same thing as you.

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
thrush welded muffler

its pretty much a copy of the flowmaster 40 series I run them on a lot of my trucks.

with headers dual 2.5'' pipe dumped out right behind the axle in my 71 c10 with a mild 350 it sound like a muscle car deep throaty growl when I romp on it but a mellow rumble at idle I love the way it sounds

on my 90 jimmy with manifolds and dual 2.5'' pipe out the back they are a lot more mellow but still sound awesome

headers or manifolds change the sound a lot and so does your pipe and how you run it.
I hate 3'' pipe everything I have seen with has a ****** sounding echo
I run 2.5'' pipe on everything of mine even my big blocks

and the best part is they are around 30 bucks a piece

mike you might have a piece broke off inside the muffler rattling around I have seen that happen on a flowmaster 40 series sounded like hell

Attachments

• wlk-17659_w.jpg
    wlk-17659_w.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
thrush welded muffler

mike you might have a piece broke off inside the muffler rattling around I have seen that happen on a flowmaster 40 series sounded like hell

Could be... I'll have to crawl under it and tap on them a bit listen for something rattling. Or start it up and dive under before they get too hot and listen to see if one is different than the other. Need to do something as it is pretty bad. Maybe back when I was 15 I would have liked it. :Insane:

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
X2 on the Thrush Mufflers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Right now it's summit race mufflers. Want aggressive??? Next I'm going for moroso spirals.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I've bounced through a few different mufflers on various vehicles:

1980 Camaro w/350
Long-tube headers
Dual exhaust - no crossover
Cherry bomb mufflers (the real long red ones that are a tad over 3" in diameter)
FRIGGIN LOUD. Seriously it sounded like NASCAR just rolled up. It was sick!

1999 Dodge Durango w/ Magnum 318
stock manifolds, downpipes, Magnaflow CAT
Flowmaster 40 series - nice even rumble. Loud at wide open, deep at idle
Flowmaster Super 44 series single-inlet, dual 2.5" outlet- much louder but maintaing the deep rumble throughout. Raspy at wide open

1986 Chevy C30 w/454
All stock motor. Stock manifolds (no EGR crap) true duals all the way back with either thrush or flowmaster 40s (cant tell). 3" pipes all the way, dumps in front of the axle. Nice loud rumble, sounds wicked at wide-open.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
thrush welded muffler

its pretty much a copy of the flowmaster 40 series I run them on a lot of my trucks.

with headers dual 2.5'' pipe dumped out right behind the axle in my 71 c10 with a mild 350 it sound like a muscle car deep throaty growl when I romp on it but a mellow rumble at idle I love the way it sounds

on my 90 jimmy with manifolds and dual 2.5'' pipe out the back they are a lot more mellow but still sound awesome

headers or manifolds change the sound a lot and so does your pipe and how you run it.
I hate 3'' pipe everything I have seen with has a ****** sounding echo
I run 2.5'' pipe on everything of mine even my big blocks

and the best part is they are around 30 bucks a piece

I used those too.

I found they create a very loud back pressure noise and at just the right RPM around 1000 it is so stinking loud you cant hear your self think lol and it vibrates all the sheet metal on the truck until the body also resonates a sound.

I have often thought of going with straight exhaust for now just to be rid of that awful drone sound.

I think it is because they are offset and the exhaust literally does a u turn inside the muffler.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Oh and the exhaust is hung properly with dampeners. It is the sound from the mufflers that makes the body resonate.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Oh and the exhaust is hung properly with dampeners. It is the sound from the mufflers that makes the body resonate.

Do you have the exhaust dumping under the truck, or do you have it piped out the back? My old flowmasters would drone bad at certain RPMs as well, it was fun playing with it to try and find that "sweet spot". I had it dumped at the time, so I'm thinking that was part of it.

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My Flowmaster 40s are piped out the back, and they drone at 40-ish, which is about 1700 RPM (3.73:1 with 31" BFGs).

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Sounds about right. I think mine was right in the same range. Funny thing is it sounded fantastic at 60mph/2000RPM. No idea why.

To the OP: Its hard to pick a muffler. So many different factors come into play. A standard Flowmaster 40 will sound one way on Rich's truck, sound another way on mine, and entirely different again on yours. Sound depends on so many factors, just ask Ferrari! I think you should just get a Super 10 lol.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
My k10 with a 355 is 2" duals with glasspacks.

And my monte is a more radical 355 with 3" duals dumped in front of the axle. Also glasspacks.

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If your wanting to shut the rice burners up, get you a pair of glass packs put on, drive around town for awhile and get them good and hot, then stick a garden hose in there and break that glass. But you better get your neighbors something nice for Christmas, because they aren't going to like you very much.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1