What mods needed for 4" lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I've always just had dual exhaust so it wasn't an issue.

Exhaust pipe size seems to be debated. 2.25" and 2.5" are the 2 popular choices. Some say the 2.5" is too big unless you have a big block or run at very high RPM a lot. Too big of exhaust can cause you to loose some low end torque.

Mufflers? Everyone has an opinion and it just depends on what you want. Loud? Whisper quiet? I put the Thrush Welded mufflers on and they are very loud at 2,300 RPM and are not to bad at all other RPMs. They are similar to a Flowmaster muffler. Some don't like the sound they made regardless of the sound level. I used to just have longer length glasspacks on my trucks. They are a bit more mellow than the really short ones. The glasspack shells seem to last a long time against rusting out, but the inside glass starts blowing out and gets louder with age.

picture.php

Part of my issue with the truck being loud was my choice of where the pipes end. They just dump out before the axle. I did this because if I run them out behind the tires they will just rust out there in a few years. Or straight out the back I'll just mash them when going off road.

cfieldchevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Agree. Ive got 2.5 inch dual to flowmaster 40s on my hotrod but thats a higher revving vehicle. Will be going to duals w headers on my truck in future. Nice pic.

cfieldchevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sure gives plenty of room to work under the truck.

neginfluence04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Melvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Sub
Engine Size
My first lift was going to be a quad shock, 4", dual steering stabilizer setup from rough country. But I can't seem to workout a discount with them so I said F it and have decided to going bilstein shocks, custom 52" 4" leafs front and rear, with shackle flips, and few other things. I've since lost track of what the build was originally supposed to cost vs what it's going to end up costing. I wish I could just get everything bought and it all put on.

Last edited:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
... have decided to going bilstein shocks, custom 52" 4" leafs front and rear, with shackle flips, and few other things.

How do you end up with a 4" lift if you have 4" springs and a shackle flip?

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
My first lift was going to be a quad shock, 4", dual steering stabilizer setup from rough country. But I can't seem to workout a discount with them so I said F it and have decided to going bilstein shocks, custom 52" 4" leafs front and rear, with shackle flips, and few other things. I've since lost track of what the build is going is costing me and I wish I could just get everything else bought and it put on.

So you're doing a 8" lift? Because that's what you'll get with that setup.

neginfluence04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Melvin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Sub
Engine Size
Sorry about the ambien post, sometimes what I'm thinking doesn't always match what I end up typing. What I meant to say is 52" factory rear leaf up front with a shackle flip. I was told this will give me roughly 4-5" of lift and more flex. In the rear I plan to use a Tuff country EZ-ride (18471). And if the truck needs to be leveled in the front or rear i'll add an ez inch by dyi4x.

Honestly I should probably just go with a rough country lift and use the extra money to replace any factory warn parts like ball joints, tie rods, ujoints, etc.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod