What is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79ramp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I have what looks like some sort of relay or voltage regulator which is installed inside my driver's side fender, right next to the washer bottle. It is a silver box, about 4" x 4" with a a power wire and about 4 other wires in a plug going to the bottom, IIRC. I'll get a picture when I get home this afternoon.

Does anyone know what it is? I haven't had the chance to trace the other wires back yet but the power wire on this 'relay' is tied into a junction block right next to it which daisy chains through a couple other junction blocks back to the battery. This also has a wire connected going to nothing and was tucked down in the fender (glad it didn't start an electrical fire).

I ask because the wiring work on this truck is shoddy at best (bare wires which are direct battery power, the wire tucked in the fender which is direct battery power) and I am going to clean it up. This thing was used as a full-blown wrecker at one point so I'm sure there's a few things that I don't really need anymore.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You must be registered for see images attach
I have what looks like some sort of relay or voltage regulator which is installed inside my driver's side fender, right next to the washer bottle. It is a silver box, about 4" x 4" with a a power wire and about 4 other wires in a plug going to the bottom, IIRC. I'll get a picture when I get home this afternoon.

Does anyone know what it is? I haven't had the chance to trace the other wires back yet but the power wire on this 'relay' is tied into a junction block right next to it which daisy chains through a couple other junction blocks back to the battery. This also has a wire connected going to nothing and was tucked down in the fender (glad it didn't start an electrical fire).

I ask because the wiring work on this truck is shoddy at best (bare wires which are direct battery power, the wire tucked in the fender which is direct battery power) and I am going to clean it up. This thing was used as a full-blown wrecker at one point so I'm sure there's a few things that I don't really need anymore.

It's probably the relay used with an auxiliary battery option:

You must be registered for see images attach

79ramp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
You are exactly right, I traced the only wire hooked up to anything and it is the brown/white wire going to the fuse block. Either way, I do not have the second battery any longer so I'll pull that out.

Just out of curiosity, does that mean that is an input to the fuse block? Or would that be some sort of output?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
That wire is like a sensing lead that pulls in the relay and parallels the two batteries when the engine is running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus