What is this thing, and other questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
What is this rusty bracket, with the body clip attached? As I was redoing my interior, I somehow came across this odd looking body clip.

My next question is about the crimped electrical connector. It goes to the power window switch. Anyone know if they're sold new anywhere?

I already fixed it by soldering, but I'd like to buy new ones for when the solder finally fails. Thanks!

Attachments

• Question4.jpg
    Question4.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Question3.jpg
    Question3.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Question2.jpg
    Question2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

AKguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab Silverado
Engine Size
The clip looks like the ones that screw to the top of the firewall that hold the slotted valance between the rear of the hood and the bottom of the windshield.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Is it possible the clip has something to do with the window channel weather stripping? I think they call it a "window sweep". It's the felt channel that the driver/passenger windows slide in.

I have a gap at the top I'm trying to seal up, but the channel is pretty deep. Thought maybe this thing helps keep the window felt down out of the deep channel. And seated in place.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’ve had both the valance off, dash pad removed and the doors gutted not too long ago. Not recalling that shape clip.

It does “appear” to be a typical interior/dash type piece. Has that bare metal/surface rust look like many of the hidden interior brackets.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is it possible the clip has something to do with the window channel weather stripping? I think they call it a "window sweep". It's the felt channel that the driver/passenger windows slide in.

I have a gap at the top I'm trying to seal up, but the channel is pretty deep. Thought maybe this thing helps keep the window felt down out of the deep channel. And seated in place.
Window channel seal/felt didn’t require any screws or brackets. It has a couple spots or bumps that “locate it” and other wise relies on friction being clipped into the channels.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
What is this rusty bracket, with the body clip attached? As I was redoing my interior, I somehow came across this odd looking body clip.

My next question is about the crimped electrical connector. It goes to the power window switch. Anyone know if they're sold new anywhere?

I already fixed it by soldering, but I'd like to be able to buy new ones for when the solder finally fails. Thanks!
You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So it is a valance bracket? I stand corrected.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Thank you Firetruck84! I'll go install it now.

May as well continue this thread -

Here is my problem with the new window felt. As you can see, when the window is rolled all the way up, there's a gap in the top left hand corner. I don't want water coming in there and I can do without any extra road noise. I pulled a bit of it down, to see if there's anything wrong above it. Can't see any problems. Looks like it just needs to sit a bit lower in the channel. How can I make that happen?

My idea so far is to shim it, or glue the sides of the felt to the sides of the channel.

(The seal may need a bit of adjustment in the pic, but that gap is always there regardless)

Attachments

• NewSealPic.jpeg
    NewSealPic.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 63

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size

I already fixed it by soldering, but I'd like to buy new ones for when the solder finally fails. Thanks!

As to your question about the terminals for the power windows.... yeah, I was searching for those too. One is broken in my master switch, and I'm sure I'll find others. I could NOT find any for sale at a reasonable price. Found some GM PNs, and aftermarket PNs, but everyone was out of stock, besides ebay sellers and a couple specialty muscle car shops, selling them for $5-10 EACH. :oops:

No thanks. I just ordered some terminals from The Repair Connector Store, supposedly "Ford Fuel Pump Sending Unit" terminals. LOOKS like they might work.... but we'll see. https://www.repairconnector.com/for...replacement-terminal-connector-14-and-16-awg/

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
As to your question about the terminals for the power windows.... yeah, I was searching for those too. One is broken in my master switch, and I'm sure I'll find others. I could NOT find any for sale at a reasonable price. Found some GM PNs, and aftermarket PNs, but everyone was out of stock, besides ebay sellers and a couple specialty muscle car shops, selling them for $5-10 EACH. :oops:

No thanks. I just ordered some terminals from The Repair Connector Store, supposedly "Ford Fuel Pump Sending Unit" terminals. LOOKS like they might work.... but we'll see. https://www.repairconnector.com/for...replacement-terminal-connector-14-and-16-awg/

Looks like that will work if it's the same size. There's very little wiggle room, so it's gotta be real close. You might have to trim off those folded over pieces that appear to be keeping it bent. But if it works out, that's a very good find.

I just ended up soldering everything, which does work if you solder to the underside of the connector. And you're still probably going to have to grind or file down your solder a bit. If you solder it to the back it will no longer fit. But as we were discussing in another thread, solder is known to break in automotive applications.

Which makes you wonder how they do radios and the computers. But I've had my solder points break, and had to redo the repair. Some are still holding up after many years though.

MrHorsepowerLSx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K35
Engine Size

When I had my steering column out, there were 2x brackets (just like top ones) on each side of the column that attached to the bolts that support the column. Those brackets then had two interior screws securing the section of dash next to “hump” over the column

I’ve included some images of where those brackets sand-which between

Last edited:

MrHorsepowerLSx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
K35
Engine Size

Last edited:

gogo14910

Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350 SBC

I already fixed it by soldering, but I'd like to buy new ones for when the solder finally fails. Thanks

They are hard to find but I see them every once in a while at Orielly’s or Autozone.

Attachments

• BC3D3EFE-AD8F-4EE9-BC59-83001E52FC8B.png
    BC3D3EFE-AD8F-4EE9-BC59-83001E52FC8B.png
    292.8 KB · Views: 37
  • E94B960A-D62F-4433-A99C-17D369AF846E.png
    E94B960A-D62F-4433-A99C-17D369AF846E.png
    286.8 KB · Views: 36

EvilGenius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darien
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just bought new pigtails from LMC. Seem well constructed, and were way nicer than messing with the 30+ year old ends. Worth the $10 a pop just for ease and that they fit way nicer than the old ones did.

Girth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Garth
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500 Suburban
Engine Size
I just bought new pigtails from LMC. Seem well constructed, and were way nicer than messing with the 30+ year old ends. Worth the $10 a pop just for ease and that they fit way nicer than the old ones did.

Dang it... thank you. I was hunting for that connector, found a couple ebay listing for $50.... but LMC didn't list it for my Burb. Following your link, I'm prompted to fill in truck info, and it says those parts "don't match your application". Yeah.... sure, because a crew cab and Burb have different window switches? Doubt it. lol Gonna order one. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dbarham78