What is the oil pressure supposed to be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
So to add to the info on this thread, what if you had an engine that ran ~30psi at idle and say ~50psi down the road....then all of a sudden idle dropped to zero and 30 psi down the road. No clanking, knocking or anything. After verifying it's not the sender and no oil leaks, keep cruising 'til it drops? Up the oil weight as some have mentioned? I've replaced 2 engines through the years cuz I'm kinda anal about oil pressure.....can't stand seeing zero.

If it is the only vehicle and/or long distance driver i would be looking to replace. Otherwise heavier oil and drive until it makes noise.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
before replacing an engine I would verify the oil pressure. do this with a good mechanical gauge. do not trust electronic gauges. highdesertranger

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
before replacing an engine I would verify the oil pressure. do this with a good mechanical gauge. do not trust electronic gauges. highdesertranger

Definately verify. Also easy visual check is to take the valve cover off and see the oil delivery to the top while running.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david b