What Classic Insurance to get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gordy1

Reaction score
First Name
Gordy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just wondering what classic or collector insurance companies anyone is using and what you like about them

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I have Grundy through Tim Farris. He's based in NC but he'll work with anyone most anywhere I believe. Super nice guy, a lady named Jean is who deals with me mostly (she handles his GA accounts). They're super easy to deal with, very nice and will explain anything you need them to. Haven't had to make a claim or "use" them at all (hopefully never will) but they've been great to get set up with and also were easy to deal with when I upped my coverage this year, no questions asked.

Initial setup was 4 or 5 pictures of the truck from different angles, underhood and interior and I got setup for $30k with nothing other than that. They're very reasonably priced as well. I now have $35k in coverage for ~$480/yr I think. There will come a point where they'll want pictures and receipts but I haven't hit that point yet.

Unlimited mileage, they know I drive this thing all over the country and it's not a problem. Their only stipulation is that it be stored inside when I'm not travelling.

You must be registered for see images attach

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
We have Hagerty, no complaints whatsoever. Have the 70 LS6 Chevelle, 66 ChevyII SS clone, 63 Corvette coupe and the 75 K20 all with them. Total yearly bill is less than $1000. No pics or mileage, just that they are stored securely and you show registration of your "regular" vehicle. I am sure the coverage varies on your location??

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Do some research,
Grundy only covered going to an event or a Sunday ride. Not covered doing errands including going to the drive-thru.
Terrible ratings, not sure about Hagerty

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I believe Hagerty is the way to go however I had one issue that seems no one else has/had...
I currently have Hagerty on 3-4 vehicles through my local State Farm agent. Previously I had Hagerty, that I got direct, and they dropped me once I had a teen driver and stated that they won't insure w/ teens in the house. State Farm offered classic insurance and said no problem with having teen drivers. Then, the last few months, State Farm said they no longer are issuing Classic policies and they are issuing Hagerty which concerned me as I thought I was going to get dropped again. But no issues w/ teen driver this time and I have 3 vehicles on the classic policy w/ them now.

Additionally, since Hagerty only does classic policies, it was easier to get classic registration and waive emissions in Arizona where I live as opposed to showing the State Farm policies and proving what was a classic and what wasn't.

I pay Hagerty about $120 a month for 3 classics with about $175k in appraised value between them.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Do some research,
Grundy only covered going to an event or a Sunday ride. Not covered doing errands including going to the drive-thru.
Terrible ratings, not sure about Hagerty
I've discussed this with my agent and he says I'd be covered as long as I'm not "commuting" in it during normal M-F morning and evening rush hours. If that doesn't jive with Grundy Corporate, I'll have to ask him. But he told me there weren't really any limits on weekend driving

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Insurance co's are getting hard to deal with. Many larger ones lost huge money last year. Have state farm [stated value] but premiums are getting up there. Going to look into other options but last time I did it was much more elsewhere. A friend had an under-hood fire recently and Hagerty paid for the repair without any hassle.

JamesSam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado V10
Engine Size
5.7 L 350 v8
So I drive my truck once or twice a week at most. We have it under Progressive with our two other daily vehicles. I don't have a garage to park it in, yet. I still have anual inspections done. Should I look in to classic insurance yet? 1987 V10.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
So I drive my truck once or twice a week at most. We have it under Progressive with our two other daily vehicles. I don't have a garage to park it in, yet. I still have anual inspections done. Should I look in to classic insurance yet? 1987 V10.
I would. These things are only going to go up in value, especially for a nice one. At the very least, see if Progressive will do an agreed value. If I had your truck, I'd want 20-25k of coverage minimum

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
I've had Haggerty coverage in the past with no problems.. Recently my DD agent suggested I give Condon Skelly a try.. Their rates are cheaper for comparable coverage.. Standard requirements -- store in a secured bldg, vehicle not be used for daily commutes.. Their rates are based on estimated annual mileage and agreed replacement value.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Last time I had Haggerty, my insurance agent went to them directly and got it even cheaper. Was great as I paid it with my normal coverage - all on the same bill.

I was told by 2 adjusters that the insurance companies have been bleeding (pre-covid....much worse now that the clot shot is killing at a record pace) due to claims on those HUGE RVs. They said sales are high but no one knows how to drive them, so when they wreck, its well into 6 figures. They also have stopped covering the huge moving equipment causing those companies to self insure.

Last couple years they are driving me nuts every year wanting me to confirm and prove where my cars are parked.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm with allstate and have been forever, being able to suspend coverage on rarely used vehicles has been really nice. However even though both me and my wife have squeaky clean driving records, our rates have been creeping up. For vehicles like my 77' Cadillac it makes sense to keep it with Allstate and suspend the coverage when I'm not driving it since it literally gets driven 4 weekends a year. For my square it made sense to me when I was daily driving it to keep it on Allstate, but now that it's driven to the shop one day a week and the farm two or three other days Haggerty looks more appealing. So Haggerty uses, do they limit vehicle use? In other words can I haul loads and tow a trailer with their coverage?

Same thing with WA state, I'd really like to get collector plates for it, but there is the stipulation that the vehicle isn't used for towing or hauling, though I have friends that get away with it all the time.... I've got 2 vehicles currently old enough and there will be a third in 2 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus