What am i missing????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

throttle out

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.3 LS
I did an LS swap in my 87 V10 SB this winter and along with it I have replaced every single part associated with the steering system save for the steering shaft itself, ball joints, tie rods, both drag link tie rods, steering gear. The center dead zone has shrunk but is still there and it's driving me mad!
I do still need to replace the rag joint, but it doesn't have "slop" in it and I just don't see it eliminating the dead zone. I'm also saving for a 2.5-4" suspension lift as my front springs are junk and all the bushings have had it. I suppose bad bushings could cause a minor bit of steering slop as well.
Would running the power steering pump from the 99 silverado my ls motor came from have anything to do with this? I'm doubting it and know its a stretch?

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Flex in the frame? Here alot about that i usually grab the shaft and turn back in forth from the engine bay and watch everything

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Don't underestimate the value of replacing your rag joint w/ the Jeep XJ shaft. I was a bit apprehensive before I did mine, but the steering slop was driving me crazy, had to try something. Many large GM vehicles with rag joints have that vague yachty feel as you cruise down the road.
Jeep shaft really tightens things up.

throttle out

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.3 LS
May be time for me to bite the bullet and upgrade. I don't see any flex but that's not to say it isn't happening, the frames in these trucks flex quite a bit. Under the hood spinning the shaft by hand the response at the pitman arm seems to be instantaneous.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Mine was the same way before being fixed. Sloppy, vague feeling going down the road.

Park it and turn the wheel L-R, could not spot any sloppy components. Jeep shaft really fixed things up. Not quite rack & pinion, but no longer drives like wore out dump truck.

Added value, little u-joints in shaft look pretty cool.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm gonna have to do the shaft. I replaced upper and lower balljoints, rag joint, drag links, tie rod ends and I just finished up yesterday my lead spring bushings and a new steering gear box. Still feels like a boat like you said. I'm disappointed.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Is this Jeep deal a kit, or do you just get a length of shaft and u-joint and make it fit??, sounds like this is a good way to go..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack253