Vortec 5.7 carb swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fast Ed

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7 Vortec
I have some questions about my swap.

1985 3/4 ton 2wd standard cab, long bed, turbo 400, 4:10 rear, 235/85/16 tires

Installed a 1996 5.7 Vortec (with serpentine, a/c, alternator, power steering pump, exhaust manifolds) from a 4wd Tahoe- all stock

I'm using an stock HEI, Carter Competition Series AFB 600 Elect choke , Procomp Vortec intake.

1 The distributor shaft diameter on the HEI is larger than the shaft on the Vortec distributor. Can I machine(drill out) the gear from the Vortec dist to fit the HEI?

2 Any recommendations for carburetor starting point- jets, metering rods, springs

3 Any recommendations for distributor starting point- springs, advance (init, mech, vacuum)

4 Anybody have data on exhaust temps (at exh manifold at each port measured with a infrared temp gun) at idle and other rpm's

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I have some questions about my swap.

1985 3/4 ton 2wd standard cab, long bed, turbo 400, 4:10 rear, 235/85/16 tires

Installed a 1996 5.7 Vortec (with serpentine, a/c, alternator, power steering pump, exhaust manifolds) from a 4wd Tahoe- all stock

I'm using an stock HEI, Carter Competition Series AFB 600 Elect choke , Procomp Vortec intake.

1 The distributor shaft diameter on the HEI is larger than the shaft on the Vortec distributor. Can I machine(drill out) the gear from the Vortec dist to fit the HEI?

2 Any recommendations for carburetor starting point- jets, metering rods, springs

3 Any recommendations for distributor starting point- springs, advance (init, mech, vacuum)

4 Anybody have data on exhaust temps (at exh manifold at each port measured with a infrared temp gun) at idle and other rpm's

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
That Dist should drop in, but you will need a steel gear on it for the roller cam, and A Holley carb of your choice, or a Q jet are the best choices.
Start with 6* BTDC, weights and springs best determined with dyno tuning. But the stock dist setup is a good starting point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90_burb