Violent shudder, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dpmcvittie

Reaction score
First Name
dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
400 sbc
Hello, new here and truck is as well. Bought 3 months back
Specs: 1985 Silverado SWB 4x4{125000mi} 400 sbc Carb4bbl {6000mi} AT TH400
Problem: Recently while driving from a stop to around 50 at a steady acceleration no noticeable shudder. It's when cruising at 35-45mph and try to ease into acceleration it violently shudders in the mid-section to motor area, not in steering wheel or rear end or tire wobble. When it does that if i punch the throttle it accelerates out of it. I was talked into thinking distributor and vacuum advance, had shop replace that to no avail. No noticeable grease spots around axle's, pinion or transmission. Distributor did nothing. Ive been thinking mounts, driveshaft or angle protrusion. Its not lifted but additional lift springs added. Any clues? Thanks in advance

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Tires mine did that when i bought the truck it was the tires mixed with bad alignment new tread and a tape mesure alignment got her straightrned out

dpmcvittie

Reaction score
First Name
dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
400 sbc
Well initially thought that but began out of blue 2 months after I bought the truck. I did figure something out yesterday, it only seems to do it in overdrive, in drive no.

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
double and triple check all your ujoints

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
Well, when you come up with a fix post it up. I have this exact issue, on my 2001 Tahoe 2wd, 5.3, 4L60E. I'm all ears. Been dealing with this for two yrs.. doesn't do it all the time..

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Well initially thought that but began out of blue 2 months after I bought the truck. I did figure something out yesterday, it only seems to do it in overdrive, in drive no.

If you have o/d the you don't have a th400 trans. The th400 is a 3 speed. Most likely, you have a 700r4. My 87 v20 started doing the same thing right before I stopped driving it. Felt transmission related to me, same symptoms, shudder in o/d, ok in drive. Didn't bother to look any further into it, as I'll be replacing it with a manual trans when I put the truck back together.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Torue converter clutch shudder? Disconnect connector on the side and see if it still does it. This will disabale lockup, but not good to keep it unplugged without additional cooler as trans will get hot in the highway without lockup. Assuming 700r4 or th300c trans.

dpmcvittie

Reaction score
First Name
dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
400 sbc
Thanks, Ill try right after my turkey dinner on thursday, im off till wednesday after that.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Umm...that truck was not factory equipped with a Th-400.

I'm operating under the assumption that you have erroneously identified your equipped parts.

Last edited:

dpmcvittie

Reaction score
First Name
dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K10
Engine Size
400 sbc
Correct. MD-8 is the casting number so Im assuming its THM700R4. The motor was swapped as well, its a 400 SBC and its 4x4.

wzschirnt

Reaction score
First Name
walt
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Hope you got this figured out and forgot to tell us.
If not, FYI - Ford (!!!) converters did this lock-up shudder thing a lot. Auto parts stores sell "Shudder Fix" for them and it seems to work just fine. Pour it in and run it. If fluid is old, change it also. Give it a try.

Good luck.
walt z.

glockholiday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban 1/2 ton 4x4
Engine Size
Spark plug wire arcing? Causing a miss fire. They'll do it more under low rpm load. If it's been a while, plugs, wires, cap and rotor are a cheap investment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bowers31