Vibration after lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Well The 4in lift is in and now I got a vibration @ around 30mph,feels drive shaft related.The kit came with shims for the rear springs.Should I nose the pinion angle up with them or let it be?? Vibration goes away after 35 or so,took it on the freeway and all feels OK.Any insight on this?? Oh yeah the motor mount are shot.. Mounts first?? Stupid question I know but dident have the vib before.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Usually if a driveshaft or driveline is out of balance it don't go away at a certain speed, it will vibrate constantly. But here are some things to check...

If it's fulltime 4WD the front driveshaft angle is usually the one that gives the most headaches. Most u-joints are only good for about 20 degrees each. Take a pic of the front and rear driveline angles and post em up. Also check bellhousing bolts, trans/t-case adapter bolts, trans/t-case rubber mounts and bolts, and definitely fix the motor mounts. If you took the rear driveshaft loose when installing you can try taking it loose again, rotate it 180 degrees and bolt it back in and see if that helps. And look at the trans crossmember and see if there are 1" spacers on the bolts above the frame rails, you can take them off and put them between the crossmember and frame, essentially dropping the trans/t-case 1" and improving the rear driveshaft angle.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
of my long bed i did not have trouble, on the k5 i did have to put spacers in the cross member to lower it for better angle, crazy is pointing you in the right direction

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The shims are in the kit for a reason. :waytogo:

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
All the chevy's that had the 208 case we always spaced the cross member down when lifting becuse the slip yoke is in the back of the case , not like the older trucks that have the slip yoke on the drive shaft.
As far as the rear pinion angle goes , you already should have some angle in the blocks or a 2 degree wedge if you have after market springs in the back , anyway dont angle it up to far or you will get wheel hop when spinning the tires off road.Same with the front , dont run to much wedge on the front leafs either or yuor truck will drive like crap.And yes replace all worn mounts for sure.
:patriot::patriot::patriot:

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
Thanks Guys,will look at all mentioned.Is not full time,drive shaft was not removed.The crossmember spacers are a good idea.Truck is parked due to funds for now will take a peek @ it next week.

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
rancho makes a kit to lower the transfer case, not worth what they charge for some spacers and bolt, i bought one and used it but would not again, i wish i could remember how long the spacers where but getting old

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Usually 1 inch I think. Two pieces of 1 inch square tube (with 2 holes drilled in each) would work well and be stronger than individual spacers.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Usually 1 inch I think. Two pieces of 1 inch square tube (with 2 holes drilled in each) would work well and be stronger than individual spacers.

Yes , agreed , we always used 1/4" flat steel 2" wide and drilled and stacked them up. We did it that way because all trucks were a little different ,so you could drop the case 1/2" for a 2" lift or 3/4" to 1" for a 4" lift , 11/4" to 11/2" for 6" lift etc.....That way you could also adjust the amount of drop (1/4" at a time) and test drive the truck until it was nice and smooth

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
You can use the factory bolt spacers to lower the transfer crossmember. Just move them from under the crossmember to between it and the frame. :waytogo:

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,030

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You can, but it's not a good idea. It can lead to cracks in the frame, crossmember, or both.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Mine hasn't cracked so far, and I am far from easy on mine. But I wont say that it wont happen next time out!!

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Well, if you are a die hard off roader I wouldn;t suggest it, but a street ride is fine like that, I did that to my old Burb with the 6" lift and didn't have any problems. But The square tubing or solid steel shims would be better of course, this is just my poor man's contribution, lol....

wagonman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
george
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
My coworker and I took a look today.He has mucho experance and said drive shaft angle would be over center if we spaced the crossmember or added shims to rear springs. We got to looking some more and found the rear pinion yoke is LOOSE. So next step is a seal and tighten yoke and see it it makes a differance.I questioned him about the bearings and he said we might get lucky.A gear swap is in the near future anyway. Will let yall know how it goes.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Better put high-strength thread locker on it and say a prayer. You may have to disassemble the rear and install a new crush collar to make it right. Glad you traced it down though. :waytogo:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx