Vacuum Hose clean up...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So my truck seems to have a cluster-f of vacuum hoses going everywhere. How much of this stuff do I actually need? What can I get rid of?

I know I need a line to the dist. for vacuum advance.

My EGR is now gone, so those lines will disappear too. They are there, but capped.

What is the round canister in the left of the picture? About all I ever see it referred to is EFE...

All the check valves and switches and stuff seem unnecessary after looking under the hoods of other vehicles and even other guys trucks on this forum.

What do I need, what can I get rid of, what are you guys running. Looking forward to your guys thoughts...

Attachments

• IMG_20150711_111655925.jpg
    IMG_20150711_111655925.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 228

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Hmmm...my square is an 87, so its a different animal. I did however remove all of my emissions crapola after swapping out the manifolds for headers, it snowballed from that point on. The only vac lines I have currently are on my intake to the efi system. Smog pump, egr...in a box. Most of the guys here cap off all lines from the intake.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Its up to you and if you have emmissions inspection. I used to roll the trash can over to the truck and start chucking everything but the vacuum advance. I would box and store it now but still would t run any of it. Probably doesnt hurt performace butlooks like crap.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
No emissions testing here in MI.

Truck never had a smog pump and I recently removed the EGR when I had the intake off.

My thinking is I only really need vacuum advance, and I will keep the lines for the vapor canister. Everything else can go.

Everything I take off will get boxed up and stored also, in the event emissions testing does ever come to MI. That, and I don't like to throw stuff like this away, even if I am not using it. Doesn't hurt to store it safely.

Now I need to decide what spot to use for vacuum advance.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have two vac lines on my truck and nothing more.. Transmission and Distributor.

ADTrumble

Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Was really hoping for some more details on this.... Im in ny also if anyone knows what I need for inspection on an 84
Can u buy caps somewhere?
I'm completly ignorant when it comes to vacume
If theres a good thread i should read let me know
I need exactly what I need and where it goes

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Caps can be bought anywhere but I personally found they are cheap and work like crap. What I did was take foil tape and covered up the vac port on the carb then slid a small piece of vac line on. Looks far cleaner and no leaks.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Now I need to decide what spot to use for vacuum advance.

On mine there is a port coming off the back of the carb base plate at an angle on the passenger side that my vacuum advance is hooked up to. I would go with that one if you have the same port.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have two vac lines on my truck and nothing more.. Transmission and Distributor.

My thinking as well. Thank you.

Was really hoping for some more details on this.... Im in ny also if anyone knows what I need for inspection on an 84
Can u buy caps somewhere?
I'm completly ignorant when it comes to vacume
If theres a good thread i should read let me know
I need exactly what I need and where it goes

I will be taking pictures as I go along. You can refer to them, but being your truck is an '84, you may need different things going different places. Also needing inspection could dictate what you can and can't remove. Someone that lives in NY will need to chime in.

Caps can be bought anywhere but I personally found they are cheap and work like crap. What I did was take foil tape and covered up the vac port on the carb then slid a small piece of vac line on. Looks far cleaner and no leaks.

I bought some nice rubber caps at my local parts place. They are nice and thick and seem to be of the same quality as the hose I bought from the same place.

On mine there is a port coming off the back of the carb base plate at an angle on the passenger side that my vacuum advance is hooked up to. I would go with that one if you have the same port.

I believe my choke pull-off is hooked to the one you speak of. I am thinking I will use a port on the front of the carb for vacuum advance. I will see what ports become available as I systematically remove and get rid of stuff.

Thanks again all for your insights. Please keep them coming, as I am sure others can and will benefit from this thread. Pics of your set-ups may be helpful too.

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
I'm not sure if there are more than one manifold vacuum port on carbs. Anything above the baseplate is ported vacuum from what I understand, and it has been discussed at great length a few times on here that manifold vacuum is best for vacuum advance.

I find that the rubber caps dry out and crack after a while. I would suggest getting the colored ones that are much more resilient and do not crack.

I pulled out a carb last week that I ran years ago, and those colored caps are still in good shape. They have been on that carb for an easy 20 years. They were on the carb when it was running back in the 90's until May 2005 when I rolled my truck, and the carb has been in a shed that reaches 160* daily in the summer time. I am going to be rebuilding it so those caps will get replaced, but I was amazed that they look like they did when I pulled the carb off the engine 10 years ago.

The rubber ones are good, but they will crack eventually.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I've found any cap of this era just plain suck and due to heat and such end up failing eventually.

My caps weren't even a year old and were falling apart.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx