V30 single wheel tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Uscombsp

Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
I have a 87 v30 single wheel. The tailgate had 5 red marker lights across center of tailgate. I can't find any info on these or if anyone makes these for reproduction. Anyone have any information or ideas? Thanks.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Those were added after it left the factory. That's why there's no info out there on them. They're aftermarket. Check with a place that deals with trailers or semi trucks. They'll have the larger selection of marker lights to choose from, if you're looking to match what's there. Otherwise they may have a slightly newer or different style if you choose to replace all of them.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Those are actually stock on any truck over 80" wide and is factory wired. I had an '87 C30 CC that was set up that way and so is my '85 K30. No one is making the tailgate with the holes drilled out for the lights. You will have to do it yourself. There are 2 screws used to hold the housing on and I believe a 1" hole in the middle of each light for the harness to fit through the gate (I haven't had mine off yet). If you need measurements, I can remove the lights and take some pictures/measurements for you. There should be a 2 wire plug for the harness near the lower left tailgate hinge under the bed. I'm going with LED clearance lights on the gate. Here's the part numbers I'm using:
Lights: Grote #G1502 (3 LEDs)
Housings: Maxxima #M20326 - Black

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Uscombsp

Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
Great info! Thanks!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Those are actually stock on any truck over 80" wide and is factory wired. I had an '87 C30 CC that was set up that way and so is my '85 K30. No one is making the tailgate with the holes drilled out for the lights. You will have to do it yourself. There are 2 screws used to hold the housing on and I believe a 1" hole in the middle of each light for the harness to fit through the gate (I haven't had mine off yet). If you need measurements, I can remove the lights and take some pictures/measurements for you. There should be a 2 wire plug for the harness near the lower left tailgate hinge under the bed. I'm going with LED clearance lights on the gate. Here's the part numbers I'm using:
Lights: Grote #G1502 (3 LEDs)
Housings: Maxxima #M20326 - Black

Huh. Is there any chance those were a dealer accessory? I've seen plenty of duallies in my life, being in the Flint area, but could count on one hand the ones I've seen with lighted tailgates. I would have bet my last dollar those were aftermarket.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Huh. Is there any chance those were a dealer accessory? I've seen plenty of duallies in my life, being in the Flint area, but could count on one hand the ones I've seen with lighted tailgates. I would have bet my last dollar those were aftermarket.
Mine 89 r30cc has the lights. And actually few the duallys I've seen have them. Maybe someone swapped out the tailgate?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Maybe it's a California thing. Trucks here over 80" wide have to run clearance lamps. I think my single axle required it because the front hubs are more than 80" wide. None of my K20's had them. Duallys here in California have the lights on the gates, even back into the 70's. The 73-80's have the style below.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
That's accually kinda humorous. My V10 isn't any smaller then a v30. I think it's more of a weight class then anything else. 10 or 20 series beds swap to a 30 and vise versa.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
nice......kinda want one like this now. Put some bright ass LED's on there for tailgaters.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
nice......kinda want one like this now. Put some bright ass LED's on there for tailgaters.

Nah,... just an led off road light in the place of the gate handle.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd post a picture of my 79's factory tailgate lights, but I see it's already been posted up there, lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20