Use donor cluster in LS swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
My L59 came with the stock cluster out of the Tahoe it lived in. Is it feasible to use the cluster out of the newer truck or is there more involved than just wiring it to the computer?

I'm building a custom dash, so making it fit isn't a concern.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I wanted my gauge cluster to look original for my swap. Used a 90 - 91 burb/blazer one. Just had to do some wiring to adapt it.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I wanted my gauge cluster to look original for my swap. Used a 90 - 91 burb/blazer one. Just had to do some wiring to adapt it.
I used one in mine. I re pinned it and of course, just my luck, speedo doesn’t work
:mad::(:boxed::sad72:

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I used one in mine. I re pinned it and of course, just my luck, speedo doesn’t work
:mad::(:boxed::sad72:

I guess I was lucky. The speedo was a bit erratic at first but then started working. Probably because it had sat for a while.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I know where one is right now
I’m thinking about going to get it today if I find the time

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Good luck, they go fast. I'm always on the lookout for a spare.

ALL-OF-IT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
323.425844 cubic inches
My L59 came with the stock cluster out of the Tahoe it lived in. Is it feasible to use the cluster out of the newer truck or is there more involved than just wiring it to the computer?

I'm building a custom dash, so making it fit isn't a concern.

There should not be anything more than the wiring. One thing specific with the vss (vehicle speed sensor) wiring is that they need to be "twisted" or "looped" together to prevent noise interference with other wiring. I think, the wires are to be twisted 2 or 3 times per inch. Not 100% sure tho

ALL-OF-IT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
323.425844 cubic inches
I'll add to that last post. You'll need to make corrections in the ECM. I use hp tuners. I pulled this info directly from the help pages

Standard V8 Rear Wheel Drive Applications (1999 to Current)

1. Insert your new tire and gear in the columns on the right. If your tire height has not changed, enter the same value. If your gear has not changed enter the same gear value.
  2. When you have entered the correct values for your vehicle click the "Calculate for New Values" button. This will use the values you entered to determine the new VSS Pulses/Mile, Trans Revs/Mile, Final Drive ratio, Tire revs/dist values found below.
  3. When you are satisfied with your changes, click the Save Changes button on the top right of the form.

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
I'll add to that last post. You'll need to make corrections in the ECM. I use hp tuners. I pulled this info directly from the help pages

Standard V8 Rear Wheel Drive Applications (1999 to Current)

1. Insert your new tire and gear in the columns on the right. If your tire height has not changed, enter the same value. If your gear has not changed enter the same gear value.
  2. When you have entered the correct values for your vehicle click the "Calculate for New Values" button. This will use the values you entered to determine the new VSS Pulses/Mile, Trans Revs/Mile, Final Drive ratio, Tire revs/dist values found below.
  3. When you are satisfied with your changes, click the Save Changes button on the top right of the form.

Since you brought it up I'll ask. Is HP Tuners worth the price if I know nothing about tuning? In theory I can use it on both of my trucks if I buy enough credits, but how steep of a learning curve am I looking at?

ALL-OF-IT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
323.425844 cubic inches
Since you brought it up I'll ask. Is HP Tuners worth the price if I know nothing about tuning? In theory I can use it on both of my trucks if I buy enough credits, but how steep of a learning curve am I looking at?

I rate it as being the steepest ive ran into, but I say that bc I have a problem is absorbing information I read. I have to read something 10x or more before I comprehend the information. but reading or better yet hearing information with illustrations to get a visual understanding. (videos) is better and learning for me is best done by just jumping right in... with hptuners tho, I haven't really dedicated some serious time into learning everything. bc its endless.

to answer your question tho.. if you purchase hptuners, there are soooo many benefits by just having it. u go to a shop to get your car tuned, they can use your hpt so you then have everything u need to modify later on, if u need help touching up a tune. and there is a lot of simple things that the common gearhead wouldn't have an issue changing.
If u don't have hpt and you get your car tuned at a shop, youll pay for the credits regardless. and anything u would ever need to change, youll need to call the shop and get on the waiting list THE biggest benefit for me (being I don't tune my car) is the scanner.. The scanner is such a badass program to diagnose probs, relearn procedures, tons of benefits IMO. And if you get a car that's making some power, you will want to keep an eye on what its doing with the scanner. it data logs everything you want it to, for however long you want it to. make a pass at the track, and you feel a hiccup at 1000'. go back into your logged data and see where it came from. too many reasons to get it if you are considering it.

SO yes its worth it. it wont be long and there will be auto-tuning capabilities anyway, self-learning and self-teaching. plus there are 100s of tune files you can download from the HPT repository. there are help files the explain all of the terminology. videos on youtube could teach you to everything you need to know to get started and then some. its all out there for free on the interwebs, just gotta find it. *Goat Rope Garage* on youtube is my go to, lately. and they don't really lose there value either if you ever decided to sell it

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow

Pender1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
1986|2014
Truck Model
K5|1500
Engine Size
5.3L|5.3L
Care to elaborate?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Looks like someone's homebrew software. Problem is it's a lot of steps and has zero refinement. Not sure I trust it at this stage.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Care to elaborate?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Elaborate on which part? The video pretty much speaks for itself.

The dash you'll have to wire.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS