Two trans questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
First question iiiis, is there any way to tell if a trans is slipping, just for FYI, my 350 with 350th runs good but it doesn't kick down in passing gear, it gains speed but not very quickly and doesn't drop down into passing gear like most vehicles I've owned, any ideas here! I just found a rubber hose and metal line that was hooked up but the rubber hose was too big and went over the metal line and but wasn't a snug fit, I changed that and tried driving it again and noticed a little change in shifting but no actual passing gear kick down.
Now for the second question, while messing with the speedo cable side of the trans I noticed the cable was loose so I tightened the bolt down but it didn't tighten tight, don't know if the bolt is stripped or the hole in the trans, what's the best fix? Helicoils and tap or bigger bolt, hoping the original bolts is stripped and not the hole! Lol

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
There should be a passing gear cable going from the trans to the carb throttle. Where the cable clips to a bracket there is a little black plastic clip you push up, then work the throttle to wide open, then while holding it wide open push the black clip down and it should be adjusted to kick down. As far as the stripped bolt hole (more than likely the hole since the case is aluminum) it would depend on the bolt size on what I would do. A 3/8" bolthead size bolt (1/4"), you might tap it for 10mm bolthead size (8mm) without having much fuss. Be sure to use antiseize once you get it done, steel bolts gall on aluminum threads and you'll be back in the same boat in short order.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Sorry for the late response, cable is adjusted and it kicks down finally, tightened the bolt for the speedo cable and it seems to be holding, just doesn't go super tight. Ty for the advice

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
So you have the detent cable working properly now? Did it change your shift points to where you like them now?

You don't want to get any bolts super tight on an aluminum trans case. They will strip fairly easy. You ony need about 150 in lbs, or 12-13 foot lbs.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yes it's shifting much better now I redid the vacuum line, the hose that was on there was too large and barely fit on the nipple of the modulator valve, then I also reset the detent cable, it shifts a lot better and goes into passing gear now as well, I'm still thinking of changing the detent cable and speedo cable for grins, the speedo cable bolt conches up but it doesn't ever stop turning, it is all the way in but will continue to turn, I've left it alone and its stayed in position so I'm leaving it for now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64