Tune up specs for the frankenstein truck...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
No point at all in trying to pin this truck to any one year...

No smog, 327, TH350, Holley 4bbl, brand new skip white HEI distributor, 4200' elevation..

it's running, but a little rough..

When I open the throttle it hesitates and I can hear a very slight backfire (through the intake)..

With the vacuum advance disconnected and the vacuum line plugged, I think I have it set to just slightly before TDC, maybe a degree or two..

Don't know my RPM yet... Gotta repair the lead on my meter tomorrow, and then I'm not sure how I'm supposed to hook it up to this distributor.. Can I connect it to the tach lead?

Anyways, looking for idle speed, advance, etc. recommendations for this setup..

Thanks,
Mark
:cheers:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
You're way retarded, if you're at 4200ft set your total at 38* and try it, if it rattles back it off 2*, but it shouldn't at that altitude..

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah, mechanical advance should be about 20 degrees, so you want base timing of 18* BTDC to give 38 total. Or you can just check the timing at 2500 rpm and aim at 38* BTDC at that rpm.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Of course all depends on compression and fuel used, but you want as much as you can get without it detonating..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody