Tire/wheel issues with local shop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oldrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
k2500
Engine Size
Just a minor rant on local shops.
I needed to have my 305/65 (33's) tires balanced. I have only lived in this town 2 years so was not too sure where to go. I went to a place that is not a national chain but has a big shop so I hoped they would know what to do.
After taking over 2 hours I got my truck back. The guy had installed wheel weights on both sides of all four rims. The original weights were inside only. I drove the truck home and it bumped worse than it had before the work.
A phone call back to the shop left me with nothing but a bad taste in my mouth.
A week later (I don't drive the truck much) I started having tires go flat. (wtf?) I first thought I had picked up nails. Then when refilling one tire I heard air escaping while I was pressing the air chuck against the valve stem.
I took a tire off and carried it to another shop. They said it had the wrong valve stem. They balanced the tire (inside only) also. I took them a second tire and they repaired it also.
Now I am riding much smoother and those two tires are holding air. I still need to take the rear two in for a valve stem replacement. At least I have found a shop that I can do business with.

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I needed to have my 305/65 (33's) tires balanced. I have only lived in this town 2 years so was not too sure where to go. I went to a place that is not a national chain but has a big shop so I hoped they would know what to do.
After taking over 2 hours I got my truck back. The guy had installed wheel weights on both sides of all four rims. The original weights were inside only. I drove the truck home and it bumped worse than it had before the work.
A week later (I don't drive the truck much) I started having tires go flat. (wtf?) I first thought I had picked up nails. Then when refilling one tire I heard air escaping while I was pressing the air chuck against the valve stem.
I took a tire off and carried it to another shop. They said it had the wrong valve stem. They balanced the tire (inside only) also. I took them a second tire and they repaired it also.
Now I am riding much smoother and those two tires are holding air. I still need to take the rear two in for a valve stem replacement. At least I have found a shop that I can do business with.
That doesnt make any sense at all. Why would the first shop mess with the valve stems on just a balance? Those are pretty foolproof too, unless you have metal stems, or TPMS. What kind of wheel are you running? Got pics?

Did they use the wrong weights, and break the seal on the beads???

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Equal don’t do weights

Dougnsalem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Equal don’t do weights
Does that stuff actually work? I need to do some more reading on it. What happens when you get a flat? Can you still do a plug/patch on the inside, or does it get all slimed out like the crap tire sealant stuff?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Does that stuff actually work? I need to do some more reading on it. What happens when you get a flat? Can you still do a plug/patch on the inside, or does it get all slimed out like the crap tire sealant stuff?
***** awsome. You won’t have to balance again for the life of the tire. It’s just sand if you get a flat just plug it air up and go.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The valve stems are fishy. Did they ask you to do them? If not, they probably wanted to get away with a $12-20 upcharge. That shop is a joke. Leave them a bad review on whatever outlet you desire.

Derrick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size

At least you found a quality shop to work with now in my town there is one good shop he is under the table he did good work for my grandpa then my dad and now me the only problem is he works slow but i have no problem waiting 40 more min for my tires to mounted and balanced as long as i know they are done right the first time. the only other halfway decent shop around me charges almost more than the dealer so I have to either work on my own junk or wait longer and let the under table shop work on it.

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
WHO were the Bozo's?
WHO were the Good Guys?

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
just as a side note, you get a better balance with weights on both the inside and outside. highdesertranger

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Some wheels, like mine cannot be weighted on the outside. The trick is to apply the weights close to the centerline of the wheel. Most of the time, it's the tire that has heavy spots that throws it out of balance, unless the wheel has been curb checked.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
True, but weights on the outside look bad and cause corrosion on aluminum wheels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64