Timing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fowjacob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
c3500
Engine Size
383 Stroker
I have a 383 stroker that has really never has been timed i know how to do but don't know how far to advance it. 10:1 compression with rv stage 2 cam what would be a good starting number

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
10-12 degrees at idle, with the vac line pulled and plugged from the distributor advance is a good starting point. Also experiment with running timed and full vacuum on the advance. You may also want to check your advance weights inside the distributor, maybe put a little white lithium grease on the posts and make sure they move freely.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
10-12 degrees at idle, with the vac line pulled and plugged from the distributor advance is a good starting point. Also experiment with running timed and full vacuum on the advance. You may also want to check your advance weights inside the distributor, maybe put a little white lithium grease on the posts and make sure they move freely.

what he said + make sure you set the timing in gear...idle speed in drive should be no higher than 650 for that setup....stock is 500 rpm.

fowjacob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
c3500
Engine Size
383 Stroker
Thanks for the info and also any recommendations on a timing tab or any will work

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thanks for the info and also any recommendations on a timing tab or any will work

Yikes....thats a tough one.
Do you know the diameter of your balancer?

The exact years of the type of damper timing marks overlap one another, depending on the exact application.
The pre-1969 damper has the TDC line on the outer ring at the 2:30 o’clock position- or 2º before the keyway centerline- i.e. the line is to the LEFT of the keyway, looking at the front of the damper or engine. The keyway is seen in the ID of the damper nose.
The damper used from 1969 to about 1984 has the TDC line at the 2 o’clock position- or 10º before the keyway. You'll find that aftermarket dampers are the 10º type, as are the bolt-on tabs sold by the aftermarket, unless they're adjustable.
A third timing mark was used from (some) 1978 to about 1995, and nearly all 1984-1995. It is at the 12 o’clock position- or 40º before the keyway. This damper uses a timing cover that has the tab welded on at about the 12 o'clock position. Professional Products lists the years for this type damper line as being 1984-1995 and is a 6-3/4” diameter damper.

fowjacob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
c3500
Engine Size
383 Stroker
Yikes....thats a tough one.
Do you know the diameter of your balancer?

The exact years of the type of damper timing marks overlap one another, depending on the exact application.
The pre-1969 damper has the TDC line on the outer ring at the 2:30 o’clock position- or 2º before the keyway centerline- i.e. the line is to the LEFT of the keyway, looking at the front of the damper or engine. The keyway is seen in the ID of the damper nose.
The damper used from 1969 to about 1984 has the TDC line at the 2 o’clock position- or 10º before the keyway. You'll find that aftermarket dampers are the 10º type, as are the bolt-on tabs sold by the aftermarket, unless they're adjustable.
A third timing mark was used from (some) 1978 to about 1995, and nearly all 1984-1995. It is at the 12 o’clock position- or 40º before the keyway. This damper uses a timing cover that has the tab welded on at about the 12 o'clock position. Professional Products lists the years for this type damper line as being 1984-1995 and is a 6-3/4” diameter damper.

i believe the motor was out of a 88 and i wanna say its an 8 in im not totally sure tho

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
i believe the motor was out of a 88 and i wanna say its an 8 in im not totally sure tho

If its from an 88, and if its the stock balancer, you want a timing mark at the 2:00 position. get a non adjustable one that bolts on to 2 timing cover bolts. I would call GMPP to see what brand they recommend, if they don't have one available.

fowjacob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
Truck Model
c3500
Engine Size
383 Stroker
If its from an 88, and if its the stock balancer, you want a timing mark at the 2:00 position. get a non adjustable one that bolts on to 2 timing cover bolts. I would call GMPP to see what brand they recommend, if they don't have one available.

alright will do thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adhkjashda