Timing not changing w/ rpms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If the plate is seizing up it won't move, need to take the vacuum can off and put vacuum to it and see it the arm moves. Just replacing the cap and rotor is not rebuilding the distributor, it needs to be taken completely apart and cleaned and replace bushings/shaft if needed and new lubricant on the top and make sure everything moves freely..

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
There's gotta be a way to test this. Shouldn't you be able to suck on the hose and see if the plate moves? If it doesn't, and you can feel air being sucked through, then the diaphragm in the canister probably broke, and it needs to be replaced. It sounds logical, but I don't deal much with vacuum advance.

Yes you hook the vacuum can to a hand held vacuum pump,remove the cap and apply vacuum to see if it moves and holds vacuum. The weighted portion should move a little. Or pull the distributor and spin it to see if the weights open up.

RustyBuckets

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Actually i did try sucking on the vacuum adv hose and i could feel the diaphragm move and it didnt feel like it was leaking.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody