327 SBC MSD 6AL-2 Ignition timing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UKSquarebody

Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Morning all,

I have just picked up my first square body here in the UK.
It's an '87 C10 long bed, running a warmed up 327.
It is a daily street truck - so not fussed about performance.
It's running an MSD 6AL-2.
It starts REAL easy from cold, ticks over at 1000rpm, and couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding!
Just checked the timing with it ticking over (dropping the idle screw does not lower RPM), and it is showing 34 degrees BTDC!
I am a bodywork guy - with basic mechanical abilities. The MSD stuff is new to me. I assume though that I should still be running around 12 degrees at idle?
Is this a case of setting up as I would a regular dizzy?

Cheers,
Keith

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
You need to have the correct timing light when timing an engine with an MSD, an old inductive style (i have a sears model) or one that specifically picks up on the multiple sparks from the ignition box. MSD sells one, i'm having a bit of a brain fart today on the terminology, but this is required to time it correctly. sometimes you can get by with a modern digital style but it usually sends a false flash. 34 degrees at idle is way too much. if it has vacuum advance make sure it's disconnected and plugged as well and try to set your timing down at around 800ish idle rpm, so that the advance weights aren't part of the equation. and then i'd shoot for somewhere around 10 degrees btdc as a starting point. and then adjust and check your initial and total timing from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko