Tightening up that loose steering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mybabyk5

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
What are some ways you guys have tightened up the very loose steering our square bodies acquire over time?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Can you be more specific? Steering wheel loose in the cab or just the general steering parts outside the cab?

mybabyk5

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Just the steering wheel play. It handles very well besides that.

mybabyk5

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Damn that was a good write up bro, will be doing that today since its not too hot out haha. Let you know how it comes.
Thanks

87Chevy4X4

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Damn that was a good write up bro, will be doing that today since its not too hot out haha. Let you know how it comes.
Thanks

Did that fix your issue?

I have alot of slop/play in my wheel will this fix that issue?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Sounds more like slop in the steering box than a loose column, google "chevy steering box adjustment". There's a lot of info there, just be aware that if you do it wrong the box will have a complete failure.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
When everything else has been checked replace the center drag link ends (actually now when I hear compaints of loose steering this is where I look first):

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?p=144531#post144531

That would be items 16, 17 & 19 in the dwg below. Any wear in this assembly will result in a loose steering wheel and road wander - no matter how tight the rest of the system is. If you can move either balljoint -it's played:

You must be registered for see images attach

Another little trick that is possible with a "center drag link" setup:

If your steering wheel is offset (either CW or CCW) while travelling straight ahead - it can be easily trued up by shortening or extending the effective length of the link.
Just glide to a stop (hands off the steering wheel). Your tires will be pointing straight ahead. Leave the steering wheel unlocked and loosen the clamps on the adjusting sleeve. Then with an assistant watching the steering wheel, turn the sleeve. The wheel will turn (either in the correct direction or not) if it gets worse, turn the sleeve the other way. It only takes about a 1/4 turn to move the wheel spokes about 45 degrees. This doesn't affect your front end alignment (both tires move in unison) only the index of the steering wheel. Much easier than adjusting both tie-rod ends!

Last edited:

TheBlueBomber

Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

If your steering wheel is offset (either CW or CCW) while travelling straight ahead - it can be easily trued up by shortening or extending the effective length of the link.
Just glide to a stop (hands off the steering wheel). Your tires will be pointing straight ahead. Leave the steering wheel unlocked and loosen the clamps on the adjusting sleeve. Then with an assistant watching the steering wheel, turn the sleeve. The wheel will turn (either in the correct direction or not) if it gets worse, turn the sleeve the other way. It only takes about a 1/4 turn to move the wheel spokes about 45 degrees. This doesn't affect your front end alignment (both tires move in unison) only the index of the steering wheel. Much easier than adjusting both tie-rod ends!

Thats a neat trick. I'll have to try that one mine.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
When everything else has been checked replace the center drag link ends (actually now when I hear compaints of loose steering this is where I look first):

That would be items 16, 17 & 19 in the dwg below. Any wear in this assembly will result in a loose steering wheel and road wander - no matter how tight the rest of the system is. If you can move either balljoint -it's played:

How about a write up on a backyard toe in adjustment for us poor folk, that exist? My wheel is straight but it's pulling hard right and I am sure it is not a caliper or brake hose issue. I think the l/f wheel is toe'd in due to a slightly bent lower A-arm.

Mater08

Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SWB
Engine Size
How about a write up on a backyard toe in adjustment for us poor folk, that exist? My wheel is straight but it's pulling hard right and I am sure it is not a caliper or brake hose issue. I think the l/f wheel is toe'd in due to a slightly bent lower A-arm.

The way he described of adjusting the steering wheel is for solid axle vehicles only unfortunately. And even then not all trucks with solid axles (ford, dodge) can be aligned as such. Its a lot harder to backyard align a 2wd truck because you have to straighten the steering wheel first and then align each tire individually to the steering wheel. But if you had a solid axle...its pretty easy. Step one: get an assistant. Step two: measure in the middle of tire (or pick a certain tread block) to the same spot on the other tire towards the front of the truck mid way up the tire. Remember measurement. Step three: Take same measurement at same location but on the back side of the tire. Remember measurement. Step Four: Turn adjusting tube until the forward measurement is roughly 1/8 of an inch smaller then the rear (toe in). Step five: Test drive truck and see where the steering wheel position is, from there do the same thing chengny posted to straighten the steering wheel.

wczimmerman

Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7L
New here, and I plan to tell a bit more later, but I'm trying to assemble a list of parts to replace the steering on my 87 V2500 Suburban and I found this drawing (exactly what I need). Do you have the page that shows the number to name?

In brief, I am wanting to replace the upper and lower ball joints, tie rods, and anything else that may be worn at this point. However, I'm not sure what each piece in this steering setup is...

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images