Third row bench question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Am I missing a step or is it that not all 91 burb third rows tumble. I can only flip the back down. When I grab the big handle in the bottom center the seat comes out, not tumble forward.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
That's all they do, fold flat and come out.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Right, it's the K5 seats that tumble (and only '78-up).

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
It's worth mentioning that the c-brackets on the front edge of the third seat are easy to bend out of shape if you're not careful. Best way to install the seat is to have it folded flat and resting on the front edge of the bottom cushion, then slowly rotate it back while making sure the c-brackets slip onto the forward locating pins in the floor. Just before you lock in the rear of the seat, move the seat belts around to the inside of the armrests.

I can tell you from experience those brackets bend easy but are a pain to straighten back out.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What for? Just unhook it and roll it forward.

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I have times when I would need the extra cargo space and it would be much easier to just flip and tumble the seat without removing it from the vehicle. I don't want to drive around with the seat just moved forward and not held down securely. I have a 4 year old in the middle row...

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ah, makes sense. I have put a Blazer seat in a Burb (not for the tumble, it's just what I already had) and it fits fine, but the Burb did not have 3rd seat to begin with. The front bolts down to the floor, so holes are needed for that. I'm not sure if the rear latch has the same spacing or not, if it quits pouring down rain, I can go measure.

There is a big drawback to having a Blazer seat in a Burb. In a Burb you can fold the middle row flat and remove the 3rd row seat, leaving a very large and flat floor for hauling a lot of large stuff. When the blazer seat is in there, it's in the way of large items and you can't just quickly take it out of the truck.

Have you thought about maybe creating a way to fasten down the seat with it laying in the "tumble" position? Like a matching color GM seatbelt bolted to the floor. Just loop right over the top and buckle it.

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Have you thought about maybe creating a way to fasten down the seat with it laying in the "tumble" position? Like a matching color GM seatbelt bolted to the floor. Just loop right over the top and buckle it.

Ahh, I didn't know they were bolted down. It's crazy Chevy will interchange so much but the floor brackets for basically the same seat.

That seatbelt idea is a good one, I'm going to look around the yards for a few. Thanks for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia