the best exhaust article EVER...maybe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I can only somewhat follow electrons and some neutrons, not much help with any math on gas/fluid flow through the pipes. Different tech materials with basic understanding and dyno testing is all i can relate to. Header manufacturer takes care of most timing and tuning, just add the extension and either some sort of a chamber or h pipe and keep it simple. Less bends, better flow

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I can only somewhat follow electrons and some neutrons, not much help with any math on gas/fluid flow through the pipes. Different tech materials with basic understanding and dyno testing is all i can relate to.
if you have any links to good reading material it would be greatly appreciated. I'm putting off stitching the exhaust together until everything else is finished and I'm about to put my bed back on the chassis. should give me enough time to change my mind 5672 more times before I have to pull the trigger.

I might get a section of diesel 5 inch pipe about 24" long and play with welding inlet/outlet pipes into it in an h pattern. id like to know more about volume calculations and offset inlet/outlet tuned for low rpm torque production
You must be registered for see images attach

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I re-read the article after seeing your last drawing. Basically you have and H pipe now. The article says:

"The dimensions of the balance pipes are not overly critical. The only dimension that appears to have measurable influence is the pipe diameter. This requires an area at least equal to that of a 21⁄4-inch diameter (4 square inches), with 21⁄2 to 23⁄4 being preferable. Anything above 23⁄4 inches does not appear to deliver any further gains, but I have only conducted tests on engines up to about 600 hp. As for the length of the balance pipe, this appears to be largely immaterial. Dyno tests indicate balance pipe lengths as short as 18 inches respond in virtually the same manner as ones 72-inches long."

I think you need something more longitudinal. I know when I had my CST-V, guys that ran headers usually had resonators ahead of the X pipe and mufflers at the rear bumper.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I re-read the article after seeing your last drawing. Basically you have and H pipe now. The article says:

"The dimensions of the balance pipes are not overly critical. The only dimension that appears to have measurable influence is the pipe diameter. This requires an area at least equal to that of a 21⁄4-inch diameter (4 square inches), with 21⁄2 to 23⁄4 being preferable. Anything above 23⁄4 inches does not appear to deliver any further gains, but I have only conducted tests on engines up to about 600 hp. As for the length of the balance pipe, this appears to be largely immaterial. Dyno tests indicate balance pipe lengths as short as 18 inches respond in virtually the same manner as ones 72-inches long."

I think you need something more longitudinal. I know when I had my CST-V, guys that ran headers usually had resonators ahead of the X pipe and mufflers at the rear bumper.
header > secondary > resonator > x-pipe > muffler is where I was at immediately after reading the article too, but then I began to question if an x pipe has taken the place of the resonator. I have some resonators, can't remember the diameter, but it's what the previous owner had on the truck with straight pipes. needless to say, it was way to loud for me. I like that the cts-v guys did it that way, as they more often than not probably spent decent change at reputable shops having exhaust work done.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Im not sure about any of the science but i decided for low cost and ease of installment i have mine with long tube headers, no cats, true duals with 3" pipe into flowmaster super 44's and the turn down at about a 45 bwtween the body and the ground right near the rear axle. (The picture was before i turned them) Yes its a bit loud (i personally like that) and it doesnt drone to bad unless you hit a certain speed at a certain rpm but to me its not unbearable. I thought about an x pipe but just went this route to make it quick and easy. Also keep in mind my motor is a tired ol 350 so no big horse power deal here.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spartantx117