the always repeated fuel sending unit question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
Ok. Most of us know these trucks go off of measuring resisants and ohms. 0-90ohms for the fuel gauge. Bad grounds and bad sending units are usually the issue.

BUT!!!!

Will someone please explain where and how to test all these issues.

Behind the gauge there are three connection points. Which are which?
At what points can we test the wiring to see where there maybe issues?

I ask because I'm getting reading all over the place. When I started my gauge was off by roughly 4-5 gallons. This has been consistent with two new sending units. If i read the ohm across the sending unit male pin and the tank it reads perfect. After messing with things for awhile I now have the gauge pegged all the time past full. If i measure from the sending unit pin to the frame, body, or even the grounding wire to the sending unit I get over 200ohms.

Behind the gauge I get a ton of different reading based on ignition on or off and which combination of pins I use. Which is the correct to test?

And I'm assuming I have a bad ground at the frame to sending unit wire to start. Where else could I be loosing ohms in the system on the way to the gauge?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
This is uncharted territory for me and I hope it stays that way, lol!!!!!

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
Am I correct that I should get the same ohms reading if i go from sending unit pin to side of tank as sending unit pin to frame/grounding wire?

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You should get the same ohm reading from any ground but the one that matters is the one from the sending unit to the frame. You should get around 0 to 90 +/- 2 to 3 ohms between the pin and the ground screw holding the unit's ground wire. Sounds like the ground wire is bad on the sending unit. If you get a different reading at the back of the gas gauge (gauge removed checking the connector pins) then check the ground to the cluster and the ground pin connection to circuit board. These gauges were never as accurate as the newer stuff so in reality if you have continuity between the pin wire to the other end of the connection in the gauge cluster and good grounds at both ends then it should register. That's assuming the gauge is good.

If you have dual tanks and a switch to select then that is a whole different story and you are going to need a wiring diagram to troubleshoot the problem.

Best of luck

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
Ok so in my infinite stupidity ....I found that I disconnected the grounding wire at the sending unit when I was playing around the other day. So looks like I gotta drop the tank now :(

That should solve my 200+ reading. But back to the off by 4-5 gallons, ill check the grounds for the circuit board when I pull the dash apart for my AC.

Still waiting for someone to chime in with which prongs to check across behind the gauge.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Do you have an aftermarket sending unit. I have had a few of them and to put it lightly they suck. Are you are saying the tank reads empty with 4-5 gals left? If that is the problem see where the float is compared to the bottom of the tank. If the float is bottomed out and you still have room for 4-5 gal of gas then you need to find a way to get the float closer to the bottom of the tank when the arm is bottomed out ( reads empty) I have never had a aftermarket be 100 % correct. Best one I ever had usually had a gal or two in the tank while reading empty. I look at the extra gas as a safety net, also it stings less when I have to fill it up again.

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
Well even when I filled up it took a day till it showed full. It would only go to 3/4 till I started and stopped it a few times

And like I said. When I place the ohms meter on the sending unit pin and on the tank I get a perfect reading. I tested it a few times at different fuel levels

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Check your ground points!

Maybe this will help:

Variable voltage type gauge theory of operation - just as general information:

VARIABLE VOLTAGE TYPE
The variable voltage type dash gauge consists of two magnetic coils to which battery voltage is applied. The coils act on the gauge pointer and pull in opposite directions. One coil is grounded directly to the chassis, while the other coil is grounded through a variable resistor within the sending unit. Resistance through the sending unit determines current flow through its coil, and therefore pointer position.
When resistance is high in the sending unit, less current is allowed to flow through its coil, causing the gauge pointer to move toward the directly grounded coil. When resistance in the sending unit decreases, more current is allowed to pass through its coil, increasing the magnetic field. The gauge pointer is then attracted toward the coil which is grounded through the sending unit.
A special tester is required to diagnose this type gauge. Follow instructions included with the tester.

Gauge failures are often caused by defective wiring or grounds. The first step in locating trouble should be a thorough inspection of all wiring, terminals and printed circuits. If wiring is secured by clamps, check to see whether the insulation has been severed, thereby grounding the wire. In the case of a fuel gauge installation, rust may cause failure by corrosion at the ground connection of the tank unit.

Basic schematic. Note: this is applicable to all dash indicators (i.e. gas tank level, coolant temp, oil pressure):

You must be registered for see images attach

Trouble shoot matrix:
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

GM GAS GAUGE DIAGNOSIS:

Most gas tank units consist of two parts, the gauge mounted in the dash and a tank sender mounted in the tank.
The following trouble-shooting instructions apply to the AC-type fuel gauge, which is one of the most common type of units. Your service manual will give you any added instructions necessary for your specific type of fuel gauge.
The gas gauge, often located in the instrument cluster, consists of two small coils spaced 90 degrees apart with an armature and a needle placed at the intersection of the two coils. A dampener is also located on the armature to prevent excessive needle movement on rough roads.
The tank sender unit is mounted to the outside of the gas tank (with a float on the inside, of course) and is made up of a metal housing that contains a rheostat (which is simply a resistance unit), and a brush that comes in contact with the resistance unit. The opposite end of brush unit is attached to the float arm located inside of the gas tank. The movement of the float arm is controlled by the amount of fuel in the gas tank. The variations in the amount of fuel in the tank cause the arm to move. This changes the resistance of the tank unit, changing the amount of current at the gauge unit coils, which in turn moves the needle located between the coils.
Beginning around 1950, some vehicles have a small voltage regulator behind the dash that supplies a stable voltage supply for the instruments - something less than the battery voltage of six (or 12) volts. This isolates the instruments from the effects of varying battery and generator voltage. So if you are checking voltage at the dash gauges on these cars and you read something less than battery voltage, it may be normal. Follow the power wires from the instruments and you'll probably find the regulator.
The most common cause of gas gauge trouble is a poor ground, especially at the tank sender unit. It is important that all wiring connections are clean and tight, and free of dirt and corrosion. A poor ground or loose connection to a gas gauge is just as likely to cause problems as loose or dirty battery cables assuredly will with your starting system.
For example, if the gas gauge needle remains on empty when the ignition key is turned to the "on" position and you are sure the gas tank is partially full, battery current may not be reaching the gauge. To check further, connect a jumper wire between the ignition switch and the dash gauge. If the gauge now works, replace the defective wiring between the gauge and the ignition switch.
If the gauge needle remains stuck in one place, try turning the ignition switch off and on several times in succession. This will allow you to determine if it is the dash gauge or the tank sending unit that is defective. If turning the ignition switch off and on (a half-dozen times is a good test) does not seem to help, and you've verified that the dash gauge is receiving power, try the following troubleshooting steps:
A functioning sending unit will have a high resistance when the tank is full and a low resistance when the tank is empty. If the gauge reads higher than it should, make sure the wire attached to the electrical terminal on the tank sending unit is making a good ground connection. If necessary, clean the connection and reinstall the wire to the terminal, then check the gauge operation. If that didn't fix the problem, use a jumper wire to ground the electrical terminal on the tank sending unit to the tank unit housing (leave the wire to the gauge connected to the tank unit). Turn the ignition switch on. If the gauge reads empty or below empty, the sending unit is defective.
If the gauge still reads high, try grounding the tank unit electrical terminal to a clean portion of the frame. If this brings the gauge to empty or below, the tank unit is OK, but there is a bad ground between the gas tank and the body or chassis (or less likely, between the tank unit and the gas tank). Either way, find and correct the bad connection or merely run a permanent jumper wire from the frame to one of the screws holding the tank sending unit to the tank.
If the gauge still reads incorrectly, the wire from the tank unit to the gauge may be faulty. Check by using a jumper wire to ground the tank unit terminal on the gauge (the one not connected to the ignition). If the gauge now reads empty or below, the problem is in the wire leading to the tank (or its connection to the gauge). If grounding the tank terminal still doesn't cause the gauge reading to drop to empty or below, the gauge is faulty.
When the gauge reads lower than it should, check at the gauge by disconnecting the wiring from the tank unit. Turn the ignition on and if the needle reads full or above, the gauge unit is probably good and the tank unit or the wiring leading to it are probably the problem. Reconnect the tank unit wire to the gauge before proceeding.
The next trouble-shooting task begins by disconnecting the wire to the tank sending unit. If the gauge still reads full, there is likely a short to ground somewhere between the sending unit and the gauge. Look for worn insulation allowing the wire to contact the body or frame. If the gauge reads full or above with the wire disconnected, the problem is in the tank unit rather than the wiring. It could be an electrical fault, or the float may be stuck or may have sunk because of a hole caused by corrosion. Remove the tank sending unit and check it. If the float is bad, you'll likely hear gas sloshing around in it or see gas dripping out. If the float is OK and the float arm seems to be swinging freely through its full range, replace the tank unit.
Ground the gas tank terminal post of the tank sending unit using a jumper wire. If the dash gauge now reeds empty, the gas tank unit is defective. If the dash gauge needle fails t move, the dash gauge is defective.
If the gas gauge works, but reads lower than it should, check for defective wiring between the gas gauge and the tank sending unit. Also check for a poor ground at dash gauge and the sending unit by using a jumper wire. If the dash gauge reads empty when the tank is actually half full or greater, the wiring between the dash gauge and the tank sending unit is defective. Disconnect the wire at the gas tank sending unit terminal. If the gas gauge reads still reads empty, the dash gauge unit is defective.

Last edited:

usar17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1985/87
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
TBI350/700r4/NP208
Ok so I hate to bring up old threads but I'm still tackling this. I have verified that the sending unit is good. Good ground and everything there. The reading I'm getting from the female pins on the dash are off. So I'm going to assume the gauge is good just getting the wrong reading sent to it. I pulled cluster out and the circuit board looks good. Cleaned up the pins and connection points to the fuel gauge.

So know I'm looking at the wiring from the sending unit to the dash. Anyone have any clue of its physical location? Like where its ran. I can follow it from the tank to the cab a little. Also where is the dash cluster grounded? Battery or frame or body somewhere?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Ok so I hate to bring up old threads but I'm still tackling this. I have verified that the sending unit is good. Good ground and everything there. The reading I'm getting from the female pins on the dash are off. So I'm going to assume the gauge is good just getting the wrong reading sent to it. I pulled cluster out and the circuit board looks good. Cleaned up the pins and connection points to the fuel gauge.

So know I'm looking at the wiring from the sending unit to the dash. Anyone have any clue of its physical location? Like where its ran. I can follow it from the tank to the cab a little. Also where is the dash cluster grounded? Battery or frame or body somewhere?

The best way is to make yourself a jumper wire long enough to test inside the truck, and to connect to the sender its self. Use the continuity setting on your meter to find the specific wire in the dash cluster plug, while the other side of the meter is connected to the jumper, which is connected to the sender wire at the tank.

T-ROD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Best thing to do, take a measurment from the sending unit to the input pin on the gauge, this it should theoreticaly be 0 ohms, no more than maybe 1-2ohms, if that reading is good, it knocks out all the possibility of a bad wire or plug, unless it has a continuity issue where when its moving it could short or open somewhere, if it reads high, as in an infinite level or higher than 2-3, check the plugs at the sending unit and on the firewall for corrosion, very common places for that on alot of these, and make sure when you move the wires on the cluster that thereadinfmg doesnt dramaticaly raise in resistance, because you could have a bad printed circuit also, and other than the gauge itself and the sending unit, theres only wires to take into consideration, hope this helps, its the only other way to check unless you replace just about everything between, lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising