Th400 whine from converter/pump after fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowlane

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Hello,
I recently changed the fluid and filter in my '85 C20's Th400. The old fluid was pretty decent, maybe a little dark, but not burned up looking. I filled it with 6 quarts per the shop manual. Now when I first start it in the morning there is a whining coming from the converter/pump area of the trans. The whine goes away after several seconds and is quiet for the remainder of the drive. I pulled the trans dipstick one morning before starting the truck and the fluid level was an inch and a half or so above the full mark. After starting and driving it a while I checked the level again and it was now right where it should be. It seems like the fluid is somehow draining from the converter back into the trans while sitting overnight. The transmission shifts good and exhibits no other symptoms. I am not real familiar with the inner workings of automatic transmissions. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Tim

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
Trans fluid should be checked warm with engine running, trans in Park to get the proper reading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76