TH350 Won't engage park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
This isn't a square, but its still a th350. I just put this transmission in my 80 Camaro behind a 454 (I know... don't ask). I got it off of craigslist and it seemed like it would be a good trans. The problem is, I can't get it to engage park.

I disconnected the shifter cable and manually shifted the trans into park with the shaft braket. With the rear up in the air, I turned the driveshaft, and could hear what sounded like a clicking. Sounded like the pawl was trying to engage, but wasn't.

Does it need hydraulic pressure to engage, or is there something else going on? Time to pull the pan?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
This isn't a square, but its still a th350. I just put this transmission in my 80 Camaro behind a 454 (I know... don't ask). I got it off of craigslist and it seemed like it would be a good trans. The problem is, I can't get it to engage park.

I disconnected the shifter cable and manually shifted the trans into park with the shaft braket. With the rear up in the air, I turned the driveshaft, and could hear what sounded like a clicking. Sounded like the pawl was trying to engage, but wasn't.

Does it need hydraulic pressure to engage, or is there something else going on? Time to pull the pan?
No it's all mechanical there are teeth on the drum that the pawl grabs. The springs break if retards slam them in park when still moving. And you have to gut it to fix it. Sorry. It could also just be the internal linkage is messed up too......

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Time to drop the pan..

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Bugger. I figured as much. Friggen craigslist trannys... Well I'm planning on taking the car for a spin around the neighborhood today anyway. It's my second drive in 6 years of owning the car! I guess I'll go ahead and pull the pan over the weekend. Fingers crossed its a simple fix.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Bugger. I figured as much. Friggen craigslist trannys... Well I'm planning on taking the car for a spin around the neighborhood today anyway. It's my second drive in 6 years of owning the car! I guess I'll go ahead and pull the pan over the weekend. Fingers crossed its a simple fix.
I Hope it's it an easy fix.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
An deeeeeeeen, how did it go with the test drive??

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I must be thinking TH400 that needs gutted to get at the pawl.
Must be thinking of something else, 400 is pretty much the same way. :D

You must be registered for see images attach

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Must be thinking of something else, 400 is pretty much the same way. :D

You must be registered for see images attach
I know I had to gut one to replace a broken parking pawl. Wtf....my memory is fading.....it came out of a mid 80s 4x4 truck.....where are they in a 700r4?

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I know I had to gut one to replace a broken parking pawl. Wtf....my memory is fading.....it came out of a mid 80s 4x4 truck.....where are they in a 700r4?
Same thing, unless you had to change the part with the teeth, then you had to gut it since that piece is on the output shaft???.

You must be registered for see images

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Same thing, unless you had to change the part with the teeth, then you had to gut it since that piece is on the output shaft???.

You must be registered for see images
Ok now my head hurts trying to remember....I'm going back to filling my front and back rears now. Lol

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Test drive went great. No issues to speak of, besides no park. Drove straight, no noises, the RV 454 shreds the tires before you even get into the secondaries! Really can't complain.

I'm hoping I can get the pan off tomorrow, but no promises.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Glad to hear it's running good..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members