th350 broke in reverse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TIC

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350cid
back in Oct. i rebuilt a 74 mod. th350 tranny, useing hotrods excellent photo in structions, the build went well, no leaks, shifted perfect. the only thing i noticed was when i was in reverse and tried to move backwards it felt like it didn't want to move, till you gave it enough gas, like something was binding, i asked for help but never got a reply. well last sun. i was trying to backup a trailer and it felt like i was up against a tree, it didnt want to move so more gas, then bam somthing broke, now no reverse. goes forward and shifts fine, but no engine braking when i pull down in 1st. i know its to late. but could anybody tell me what the problem could have been? im gonna rebuild the 700r that i took out and put it back. so im not gonna tear down the th350. but for my and others info. id like to know what went rong.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Low/reverse roller clutch likely grenaded. Check if L1 is gone too, it is likely taking off in 2nd gear.
EDIT: also sorry for the no reply on your question before. I don't get on as much as I used to and there seems to be so many people asking questions here these days it's impossible for me to check them all, so many get bumped down the list.

Last edited:

TIC

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350cid
i do have 1st. whats eating at me is why it was binding in the 1st place, i know i did something wrong, is it possible a forward clutch was engageing at time reverse clutch was locking up? i doubt if disassembling would show why. you could tell there was some conflict going on when in reverse, no sound just felt like it was trying to overcome some resistance, i had to keep giving more and more gas to get it to start moveing.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I toasted the forward clutches by having 1 spring in wrong in the valve body, could have been something as simple as that. Tomorrow when I'm at my pc I'll post an exploded view of the valve body, might be the easiest place to start checking.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Here's the view of the valve body, note some of the springs have a small end and large end, that's what killed my forward clutches, just putting 1 spring in backwards. Might have to download it to view it full size. Hope this helps...

Attachments

• TH350VB.jpg
    TH350VB.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 155

TIC

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
350cid
thanks for the info.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Or the Low/Reverse Clutches got hot enough to weld themselves together.

Yes, First is certainly Possible from Drive. Low/Reverse are only used for Manually selected Low and Reverse.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
77MarshallR