Telescoping column?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

towerguy77

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30 3+3
Engine Size
6.5l
What I've got is an '82 k30 3+3. The problem I've got is wife's legs are short enough that when the seat is scooted forward she's too close to the wheel. So after some looking around, it seems that a Corvette column of those years might work.

I looked through the interior pics post and saw a couple that might, plenty on stabilizing, and retroc10sport's post columns didn't really address this aspect as far as I could tell and general internet and shops were fairly inconclusive. Anyone know of someone doing this? or have any other solutions?

Thanks.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
I made a telescopic column for my 1991 S10 Blazer using 1989 Cadillac Deville parts on the original column and a Corvette wheel. It was actually rather easy.

Someone here may have a better idea with using a shorter column and then perhaps you could add telescopic to it for when you drive it. This is because the telescopic column actually ADDS about 3/4 inch to the overall length.

Perhaps using a late 70s-early 80s Cadillac column. If you wanted to use a Chevy wheel, you could do what I did and use a 1984-89 Corvette wheel with an S10 horn cap. It's smaller and has a fatter grip than a Cadillac wheel or a 1970-82 Corvette wheel.

This is all assuming you want to keep the stock look.

Here's a pic of my Blazer.

attachment.php

If you decide to go this route, let me know and I will gather a list of parts you will need. I have less than $60 in the entire project.

Attachments

• 100_8362.jpg
    100_8362.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 418

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
WOW now that is nice.
problem in this neck of the plains is they arent many vettes in the scrap heaps that I visit,heck,there is no real auto salvage yards,just the recyclers that`ll let Me in to take what I want for the price of scrap.

towerguy77

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30 3+3
Engine Size
6.5l
Maybe just a shorter column all together with tilt from some other vehicle and I can scoot the seat up. :Big Laugh: Van maybe? other ideas?

I like the idea of a smaller thicker wheel. I'll look into that after I find my solution.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Is it a tilt wheel or standard? I've got one truck without tilt and the rest have tilt, the truck without tilt seems to have the wheel sitting closer to the seat than the other trucks.

towerguy77

Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30 3+3
Engine Size
6.5l
No it's not a tilt. I contacted a guy from gmtiltsteeringwheel.com who makes custom length columns and this was his response:

"The length isn't the major problem, it is how it mounts directly under the dash. You can adjust is slightly there, because the bolt holes in the bracket are oval. Push the column towards the firewall as much as it can go and still line up under the dash. The column and intermediate shaft is collapsible."

He too mentioned that a telescoping shaft adds to the overall length. So, I'll try his suggestion first, then go from there. (and see about a thicker wheel)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack1989