TBI problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
As far as I know there is not polarity on the injectors and you can not install them backwards because there is a little pin on them that has to sit in a slot on the injector pods. Otherwise you crack the injector pod and get to search for a new throttle body...ask me how I know this.
The injector do click when they are pulsed with a 12 volt source. I actually have three sets (like I said ask me how I know that the parts of the throttle body crack easily). One isn't in great condition but the other two sets I have tested and as far as I can tell function as they should. Originally I was told that you could test the injectors with a 9 volt battery and I found out that it takes a 12 volt source to get them to cycle.
I have ordered an AC Delco ignition control module and I am going to try it out. The one I put on it was a house brand and I know that they can be picky about brands sometimes. I noticed that the voltage at the injectors was only around 5 volts, so I am wandering if the off brand icm isn't the issue. If this doesn't do it I guess she is going to sit until I can afford to pay someone to figure it out.

That may be worth looking into. The injector pulse and ignition aspect are controlled separately. You could also pull the ICM and have it tested just for kicks. I don't know. You've covered a lot of stuff. The only thing that comes to mind is when stuff gets funky in any computer controlled vehicle, the ECM may be on the fritz.

chrispbrown27

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
The AC Delco ICM arrived and is on and no change. Now she is going to sit until I can get it to a mechanic. Thanks to everyone for the help.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
What about the pick up coil? I know when mine died, everything worked as expected, but the truck would not fire. I replaced everything ignition related. Once the dizzy was replaced, the truck worked just fine again. From my understanding, if the pickup coil fails, the computer prevents the tbi from spraying fuel. It'll even let the pump run as normal. This seems to be about the only other thing to rule out.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
What about the pick up coil? I know when mine died, everything worked as expected, but the truck would not fire. I replaced everything ignition related. Once the dizzy was replaced, the truck worked just fine again. From my understanding, if the pickup coil fails, the computer prevents the tbi from spraying fuel. It'll even let the pump run as normal. This seems to be about the only other thing to rule out.

It's
Cheaper than a towing and shop bill too.

chrispbrown27

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Ok, so I couldn't just let her sit. I decided to drop a new distributor in as a hail mary. When I dropped it in I noticed that the fuel pump primed as if I had turned the key to the on position (it was in the on position the entire time). So I got to investigating, thinking I had pinched a wire some place. While I was laying on top of the engine trying to see what was going on I noticed that every time I dropped the distributor in the coil wire would spark and the fuel pump would prime. This doesn't seem normal to me it kind of makes me think there is a short somewhere.....Any ideas?

r67northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban r20
Engine Size
I think there's a big ground wire that is attached to the T-stat housing. Try cleaning that up really well and see what happens. I was chasing a TIB problem with my wagon earlier and that was one of the things I did. Of course, it didn't help because my problem really was the distributor.

It took a new fuel pump to figure that out though.

chrispbrown27

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I have done the fuel pump thing...It seems like I have changed just about everything. I know it's got to be something simple that I am just missing. I got a recommendation for a good mechanic not too far up the road, so now I just have to get it up there.

r67northern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Leland
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban r20
Engine Size
Good luck, the distributor on the wagon was the last shot before doing the same thing. Luckily it was the problem.

Strange that it fires ok with direct gas. But then I swear I was being lied to by my tbi which led me to the fuel pump first and then eventually back to the distributor

Senck243

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
Did you ever get this straightened out?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chrispbrown27

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Sorry it took me so long to respond. Yes, I ended up taking it to a mechanic. Took him two weeks but finally figured it out. Two issues.... broken power wire to ecm and bad injectors. He never did find where the wire broke so he just ran a new one. He ended up putting another throttle body on it and she is running fine now.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising