tbi pcv and breather caps? need some schoolin' plz

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
Dude....New rule for you. No more taking anything off of anything cuz every time you do you find a new issue with your rig!! :lol:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Dude....New rule for you. No more taking anything off of anything cuz every time you do you find a new issue with your rig!! :lol:
Yeah, I know, phukin sucks.:baby: Can you see the pics, all I see is those damn red "X" boxes again, ****...

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Yeah, I can see the pics fine. Did you ever check out your internet options and see if there's anything in there keeping you from seeing what you wanna see?

...and I have NO idea how you'd get oil on your air cleaner lid :shrug:

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yeah, I can see the pics fine. Did you ever check out your internet options and see if there's anything in there keeping you from seeing what you wanna see?

...and I have NO idea how you'd get oil on your air cleaner lid :shrug:
I don't want to know why it's there, I am scared to find out.

I checked out that options box and I can;t find anything about pics showing, stupid comp.:flipthebird:

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Swims is correct, I used a grinder with a 7" abrasive disc. After the initial cut to get started I removed a little at a time with the grinder, stopping to check my progress with a level. I had already cut the bottom 1/4" off the choke collar because I wanted to use that part of it since that is what keeps the air cleaner housing from rotating on the throttle body. I just kept grinding until I could force the ring from the choke collar onto the bottom of the bowl.

All that being said, I don't think this is a huge gain in itself for a stock engine. This is something I wanted to already have done for when (if) I ever get around to installing my 383. I also have an MSD box and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator as well and my 'burb is still a big ol' pig that's slower than slow.

Swims, my apologies. No intention of thread jacking, we just got sidetracked a bit.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
nah don't matter, I think I figured out what I'm gonna do anyways.

As for the salad bowl and helping mileage, not sure, just smooths out the air path.

As for it throwing oil under there hard to tell, the pcv sucks from the valve covers and puts it in the tb but that's in front, I would guess that is coming from the tube in back of the spacer ring. it's supposed to let air back into the crankcase. Only thing I could think of it the pcv blocked, letting too much crankcase pressure and blowing oil out. If not then maybe the pcv is somehow doing it? I don't see how but if so it needs to have a baffle under it so it doesn't suck up oil. If not then maybe it's got a lot of blowby which could be due to worn stuff, high miles etc. basically it's compression that gets blwon by the rings into the oil pan/crankcase and it has to go somewhere.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
nah don't matter, I think I figured out what I'm gonna do anyways.

As for the salad bowl and helping mileage, not sure, just smooths out the air path.

As for it throwing oil under there hard to tell, the pcv sucks from the valve covers and puts it in the tb but that's in front, I would guess that is coming from the tube in back of the spacer ring. it's supposed to let air back into the crankcase. Only thing I could think of it the pcv blocked, letting too much crankcase pressure and blowing oil out. If not then maybe the pcv is somehow doing it? I don't see how but if so it needs to have a baffle under it so it doesn't suck up oil. If not then maybe it's got a lot of blowby which could be due to worn stuff, high miles etc. basically it's compression that gets blwon by the rings into the oil pan/crankcase and it has to go somewhere.
I never touched the PVC valve, maybe it's time I check it out, lol. Another thing to add to the list when I do the intake gaskets.:baby:

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Yeah,...and I have NO idea how you'd get oil on your air cleaner lid :shrug:
blowby... faulty pcv valve... sounds like time to do a leakdown test...

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
that's what I thought. pcv is cheap, CHANGE IT! Then do a leakdown test too.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
I never touched the PVC valve, maybe it's time I check it out, lol. Another thing to add to the list when I do the intake gaskets.:baby:

PCV valves are cheap and easy, though.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I still need to tackle the intake gaskets, so that PCV will be part of it. I also have distributor cap issue I will post and pic and want to discuss here.....

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
pcv is dirt cheap and would take like 5 seconds, I'd just do it now. Buy it, pop the hood, pull it off the VC pull the hose off, put the new one in the hose, then stick it in the VC, the pcv, not anything else LOL. DONE.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
pcv is dirt cheap and would take like 5 seconds, I'd just do it now. Buy it, pop the hood, pull it off the VC pull the hose off, put the new one in the hose, then stick it in the VC, the pcv, not anything else LOL. DONE.
My plan is to do everything at once, and document and post it here for the members. I could quite easily do that and nobody here would ever know what's going on. I am trying to make it a learning experience for everybody. Very detailed, and discussed, and pic'd. If somebody did what I am doing here right now, I could watch and learn instead of being the guinea pig. I wan't to help guide somebody else, very slowly, if they open thier air cleaner and see that, and read these posts, and opinions and advice, they are one step ahead of us then and fixing thier ride on thier own or have a better idea what to do.:High 5:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising